Words with Good Mouth-Feel ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Words with Good Mouth-Feel

From AllEyesOnJenny comes this unabashed word-love:

Once I did a list of the grossest words to say, now I’m countering that with fun words to say:

Onomatopoeia
Cacology
Nuance
Undulate
Symposium
Loquacious
Facetious
Phlebotomist
Superfluous
Trabajabamos** (Yeah I know it’s Spanish, but it still applies.)
Nefarious
Abominable
Discombobulate
Disingenuous
Lackadaisical
Archipelago
Guacamole … closely followed by …
Avocado
Oblivion
Usurp
Plethora
Shank

Lindsay and I discussed this carefully, and we would add:
  1. Perspicacious
  2. Discombobulate
  3. Zinfandel
  4. Whimsy
  5. Scuttlebutt
  6. Smack
Aidan contributed:
  1. Marshmanannow (similar to a "Marshmallow," but with more complex flavors)
  2. Vanderhorst
Asher added:
  1. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
He's such a Spoon fan. However, we voted to take exception to "Trabajabamos." Very questionable... True, it is a lot of fun to say, but it has no English usage, and the Wikipedia entry is absolutely no help. Out!! ;) What are your faves?

HT: 22 Words



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Steve said...

What, no assonance?

must_decrease said...

I would add:

brobdingnagian

clever (I know its simple, but still fun)

modulate

and I am shocked you neglected Sehnsucht you "Lewis Scholar"

Although I see you have a blatant disregard for words of an ethnic flavor.

I take issue with your outing of trabajabamos

AJ said...

Assonance is a good one.

Must_decrease, not content with having pulled "brobdingnagian" out of his hat, tries to show me up on two counts, calling my Lewis expertise into question and implying that my lingual tastes are too provincial. Well...

Guilty as charged with Sehnsucht. I was so busy writing this post that I forgot I was a Lewis scholar. Clearly it hasn't quite taken hold yet.

But no regard for words with ethnic flavor? What do you call "Zinfandel?" ("Merlot" has a nice ring as well.)

You're just mad because "enchilada" didn't make my list. I joke, I joke.

Stacy M said...

How about 2 'r' words:
resonate
ruminate
and an old Scotch word: persnickety
(used to describe the old paper folding machine at work!)

lilacpuppy said...

I'm a big fan of the word "retrospect," or even better, "retrospective." Orangoutang and chimichanga also come to mind. And while "zut" (pronounced "zoot"), the French equivalent of "darn," "l'alpinisme," French for mountain climbing, and anaranjado, Spanish for the color orange, are not commonly used by anglophones, they ought to be!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife