Sick and Stifled ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, March 03, 2008

Sick and Stifled

The flu has been known to beat a fake retreat, wait for you to charge out of your bed shouting victory chants, and then signal for its hidden forces to move in from behind in a lethal pincer movement. Just in case you're wondering why things have been quiet around here.

Here's a Flannery O'Connor quote that I lifted from Abraham Piper's uniquely brief blog.

Everywhere I go I’m asked if I think the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don’t stifle enough of them. -Flannery O’Connor, Mystery and Manners, 84 (HT: Reformissionary)
Sometimes you just have to let out the inner grinch. I'd add that the flu stifles a lot of writers--but I'm completely satisfied with its depressive effectiveness. No need to try harder, bolster the numbers.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife