Rumors of Another World – Philip Yancey, B+ ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Rumors of Another World – Philip Yancey, B+

Flash Review: Clues to Transcendence

Philip Yancey, Rumors of Another WorldRumors of Another World, Philip Yancey
My rating: B+
Worth buying for: under $4*

Philip Yancey’s intentional foray into skepticism attempts to lure seekers toward faith with evocative “rumors” of deity. The resulting book is conversational, tightly-written and thought-provoking, but something less than an intellectual or spiritual tour de force.

"The world we live in is not an either/or world. What I do as a Christian - praying, worshipping, demonstrating God's love to the sick, needy, and imprisoned - is not exclusively supernatural or natural, but both working at the same time." - Philip Yancy

One could level the criticism that Rumors pushes one toward “transcendence” as much as toward Christian faith, as Yancey’s evidences aren’t always singularly Christ-centered. Nevertheless, in Yancey's defense, I do end up pulling quotes from this book a lot, and there are several stand-out chapters: "Designer Sex," "God Loveth Adverbs," and "Earth Matters" were favorites. I also appreciate Yancey's perspective on creation and culture as filled with "clues" to the existence of God, an approach I've mirrored on this blog.

Listed on the Master Book List.

* I'm adding a new component to my book reviews. Given that I do most of my book-buying online, I tend to evaluate a book in terms of what I'm willing to pay for it. Combined with my A through B "grades," this will give you a snapshot of how I regard particular titles. It may also allow me to lavishly praise some books and devastatingly criticize others. ;) As an added bonus, I'll link to the book's Amazon page if I happen to notice it selling for below my "worth buying for" price.





Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife