Great American Writers Congratulate Timothy Goering ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, October 30, 2006

Great American Writers Congratulate Timothy Goering

When you nail a crucial examination, a celebration is in order. I just wish that all these academic fetes were as enjoyable as the one Timothy has going on right now at his blog. Here's the occasion:

Success is when you study and work on American literature for a while to pass your bachelor test, and then succeed with the best grade possible! ...And now, I can relax and enjoy. Success is nice, comfortable but dangerous.

And here's a slice of the cake:
It was dark by the time we got home, and to my surprise I could see from the street that my light had been left on. When I walked into my apartment a small group had gathered. Thoreau, Melville, Hawthorne and Whitman were all waiting for me, and I believe a small group of other authors were somewhere in my kitchen...They got me my beloved rocking-chair, Thoreau kindly and quietly fetched me some comfortable pillows... Whitman started to rub my feet (I normally would have asked him to stop, but I was too tired); and Hawthorne and Melville went outside for a while to smoke cigars for a bit.

Thrown in are some sharp musings on the dangers of success. Go get it. And congrats, Timothy! Now you have me wondering what events might unfold after my next academic victory. Maybe C.S. Lewis will pay a visit?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goering's post was a delight. I just wish I would have thought of it first.

~currently scheming how to ripp off idea without appearing to ripp off idea...

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife