Lack of Christian Credibility? ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, October 23, 2006

Lack of Christian Credibility?

David Brooks, reviewing Andrew Sullivan's The Conversative Soul:

The Conservative Soul is imbued with Sullivan’s characteristic passion and clarity. And yet I must confess, if I hadn’t been reviewing this book, I wouldn’t have finished it. I have a rule, which has never failed me, that when a writer uses quotations from Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and the Left Behind series to capture the religious and political currents in modern America, then I know I can put that piece of writing down because the author either doesn’t know what he is talking about or is arguing in bad faith.

Touche.

(HT: Between Two Worlds.)



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

John B. said...

Ariel,
I thought you might like to have a look at this, in which Sullivan responds directly to the passage from Brooks' review that you quote.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife