Richard Dawkins & The God Delusion ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, October 20, 2006

Richard Dawkins & The God Delusion

Because I always like to know what the other guy has to say, Lindsay and I had planned to head over to Kansas University last week to hear Oxford's Richard Dawkins speak on "The God Delusion." Dawkins' take is essentially a variation on Nietzsche's "God is dead" theme, backed up by the supposedly unassailable logic of Darwinian evolution.

Unfortunately, Aidan did not share our interest in Atheistic philosophy, and mounted a serious attack on our evening plans that proved to be ultimately successful. We didn't get to hear Dawkins present his arguments live, and I sincerely regret it. However, I did come across this fascinating YouTube video...



I can see the weak points I would attack in Dawkins' line of reasoning. Do you? Maybe we can discuss in the comments...

Hat tip: The Resurgence Blog



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very entertaining video but a very sad way to live life. I'm sure he'll sell plenty of books.

Andrew Simone said...

Ariel, I wish I could watch the video, but I have seen so much Dawkins lately that its driving me batty.

He speaks with a certitude that would make the modernist blush, I think. I simply cannot stomach the man...let alone his ideas.

Fortunately, loving your enemies does not mean listening to every word they say in the public area or else I would be in trouble.

Anonymous said...

I happened to see the interview on the Colbert Report, and found that Dawkins couldn't handle the dry humor of Colbert. It seemed as if he was getting a bit agitated, which may be due to the fact that Colbert is a practicing Roman Catholic. It would have been interesting to hear their "real" conversation, while the microphones were off.

AJ said...

Here's a round-up of recent critiques/review of Dawkins' God Delusion, including this from Terry Eagleton:

"Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology."

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife