Smash-Mouth Jayhawks For Real ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, March 12, 2007

Smash-Mouth Jayhawks For Real

KU is a Final Four Team

Fighting Jayhawk
Last year, Kansas smacked Texas in a thrilling down-to-the-wire victory similar to yesterday's instant classic. I was so impressed that I handed KU one of the highest basketball accolades this blog is capable of. The Smash-Mouth Jayhawks, I called them. Prophetically, in the same post I also mentioned that first round opponent Bradley had a couple NBA-caliber players and would be a tough opponent. Slight understatement.

Obviously, my assessment of KU's toughness last year proved to be premature. Today, I feel like the Jayhawks' swagger is more justified. Down 22 in the first half, KU came back to win in overtime against a Texas team featuring the nation's best player and a strong supporting cast. They set a school record in the process (greatest margin in a comeback win).

Mario Chalmers says, "We are fighters," and he's right. Tourney time is here and I feel
very good about KU. Slight understatement. Despite getting burned last year, I'm handing Bill Self's squad the coveted "Smash-Mouth" moniker again. This time they've really earned it. I see these Jayhawks in the Final Four.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

8 comments:

jason said...

I'm going to have to say that KU will find some way to get ousted before the final 4... Maybe by VT? =)

But then again, I'm biased too. I don't like KU. =)

Jay Adkins said...

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU! Yes sir, I am a Jayhawk! Be blessed brother!

Jay
http://www.JayAdkins.net

John B. said...

I think Kansas is deserving of its seed. Still and all, I imagine there's no little sense of relief that Kansas' first tournament foe's name won't begin with a "B."

The 'Horns, by the way, are a dangerous 4 seed. You'd better right that logo, boy.

Anonymous said...

Waving the wheat all the way from Florida, even though the papers here only talk about the Gators and how they'll repeat (NOT!)

Anonymous said...

Kansas is a good team, but you must remember: Texas played Baylor, OSU and KU in the stretch of 42 hours. Toss a day of rest in there and it's a different game methinks.

Cheers.

Will Robison said...

I think KU proved themselves this weekend. I'm giving them a Final Four spot as well.

THEY BETTER NOT PROVE ME WRONG AGAIN! (grumble mumble grumble)

But then, there's always upsets in the first week. So, who knows...

AJ said...

This could be the year of the Jayhawk. One thing: A first-round exit won't happen. I also could see Texas and Texas A&M going deep in the tourney. In fact, I may have to pencil in a KU-UT championship. I can't say I'd be eager for the Jayhawks to face Durant again, though.

Unknown said...

Dang bro. I thought we were a match. Both love hoops, theology, coffee, missional church, and are in Baptist seminaries, but we part ways with our teams. I am a big UT fan, but I pretty much root for any Big 12 team. I am not too fond of the Aggies. I would love to see UT/KU in the final, but Ohio State is tough.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife