I May Be a Master Sub ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I May Be a Master Sub

It's becoming clear to me that I am getting close to the status of Master-Sub in the North Kansas City School District, at which point I'll probably get a major pay raise, and, who knows, maybe a monogrammed NKC jacket. A few days ago I got a call, entered the class room, and found three piles of worksheets. No notes. Obviously, word had circulated in the teacher lounges: Mr. V. has this job down cold, so you can leave a minimum of direction and he'll get it done. Which I did.

Then on Monday this week, I got a class with no sub plans and no worksheets - just an enigmatic note to call the teacher for directions. Done. I can do crowd control and punch phone numbers at the same time.

Today, the school district's implicit trust in me was confirmed once again, as I arrived at the front desk to discover that there were no sub plans, no schedule, and no "call me" note. Not a problem. The secretary printed me off some rosters, gave me a handful of attendence forms, and I sauntered forth to create order out of chaos. Master Subs can think on the fly, roll with the punches. They like the challenge of no structure and thrive on raw spontaneity.

Thank you, North Kansas City Schools, for your unbridled faith in me. I will do all I can to justify your confidence and I can't wait to see that Master Sub bonus check show up in the mail.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Charles Churchill said...

But what will you do tomorrow when instead of sub plans, a schedule, or a "call me" note, you are simply handed earplugs, a whip, a crucifix, a scholar's robe with a racing hemline and an inter-dimensional key to the Modern Teenage Goth Chick Poetry Appreciation Class of the Eternally Damned?

Oh, and before you leave they notice their error and take away the earplugs. What are you gonna do then? Hmmm?!?!

Anonymous said...

Alas, should the good people at NKC schools discover this entry, my guess is they will not notice your tongue firmly planted in your cheek.

All the better.

Cheers.

Will Robison said...

I wasn't sure until I read the read more disclaimer at the bottom that said: sarcasm. Too bad. I was rather hoping for a picture on you in the monogramed NKC Jacket with matching NKC cufflinks and NKC emblemed all faux-leather briefcase with emergency Master Sub supplies inside - or maybe even to see you advance high enough to qualify for the Master Sub Utility Belt so that when they put the NKC symbol in the sky, you can rush to the nearest school and save the day!

John B. said...

I've read that Keith Jarrett, when he gives his solo piano performances, has nothing planned in advance--he just sits down and starts to play, and about half an hour later everybody applauds wildly.

Perhaps those managing the subs at the NKC schools have been watching as well . . .

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife