Good Things Come in Pairs… ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, August 28, 2006

Good Things Come in Pairs…

…has always seemed to me like an adage more or less lacking in support. In my experience, good things typically comes in ones if they come at all. Think about it. If the proverb was really true, then getting married would always be a coin flip. But I digress.

Yesterday, perhaps for the first time, good things did come in pairs. One of our friends gave me an unopened bag of Starbuck’s Kenyan coffee beans. Why? Because the coffee had been a gift to someone in her family, and while her family drinks coffee, they are not “into it enough” to grind up beans.

This strikes me as an excellent reason to give me a bag of coffee beans, and if anyone else is in this position, I’m more than ready to help out. There’s no reason why your unopened bag of gourmet coffee beans should be left on the shelf to slowly disintegrate. And clearly, throwing them out would be equally wasteful. I’ll bail ya.

The second good thing was an authentic menu from “The Eagle and Child,” the Oxford pub frequented by C.S. Lewis and other members of The Inklings. (True to form as writers, Lewis and his fellow authors, couldn’t help renaming the place as “The Bird and Baby.”)

The menu, lushly produced for resale, contains a paragraph on Lewis and the Inklings:

It has been a favorite watering-hole of J.R. Tolkien, author of Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis, who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia, as well as other fellow writers. The writers dubbed themselves ‘The Inklings’ and often met for discussion (and argument!) over a pint or two in the Rabbit Room of the pub they called ‘The Bird and Baby.’ Lewis wrote of the ‘golden sessions’ they enjoyed by a blazing fire with their drinks to hand, and the wide ranging nature of their philosophical and literary conversations. On a wall near the bar is a note to the landlord from these men, written in 1949 during one of their convivial meetings – it bears their signatures and states that they have drunk his health.

What good natured chaps!

The menu was presented to me by a couple from church who had just returned from a trip to England—and with the menu came a picture of the half-pint that Mrs. F. had consumed in honor of the hallowed place. Unexpectedly, she said that the beer was tepid and bitter and she had to choke it down… Huh? For the sake of comfortable idealization, I think I’ll let this detail slide. In my imaginings, it's essential that The Inklings be sipping cool, frothy beer, brewed to perfection.

So there you have it. Good things in pairs. I’m not expecting this to necessarily happen again, so I’m trying to maximize my enjoyment. ;)



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Susannah said...

Fun things on your blog, as usual. Here's something for you... good things come in triplicate?

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/multimedia/audio.html

AJ said...

Oooh... is this what it appears to be? Links to free audio from C.S. Lewis's books? Score.

This may need to appear in my sidebar...

littlepeace said...

Huh, she sure could've fooled me.

Then again, I refused to even come near it, so who am I to talk.

AJ said...

"Huh, she sure could've fooled me."

Well, this is a relief. The daughter of Mrs. F. comes forward, claiming that the beer was not as bad as advertised. This is good news! ;)

Sørina Higgins said...

How did you get a B&B menu? I was just there, and all I got was a picture.

And this link is going on my sidebar right away, thanks so much!!

Sørina Higgins said...

and I've linked you, too, by the way, for good measure.

AJ said...

Thanks for the links, Iambic. Apparently you missed out on the Eagle & Child's little side business: they sell these menus to eager tourists (of which I would have been one...). Better luck next time!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife