Taking Stock of Our Story ~ BitterSweetLife

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Taking Stock of Our Story

Tomorrow morning I'll be heading to Minneapolis for the Desiring God Pastors' Conference. After three years of attending, it's kind of become a tradition for me to drive up with my dad and younger brother, Johnny, and I look forward to it quite a bit--for the teaching, yes, but also for the chance to spend time with my dad and bro.

This time is often a spiritual catalyst for the new year, a chance to slow down, talk with Jesus, and get caught up with myself in the process. I'm looking for a metaphor, and the best I'm coming up with is "a spiritual hot tub"...whatever. You get the picture.

On the eve of my departure, this year has a different feel to it... It could be the fact that Aidan and I both had the flu last week, and we've all been exhausted and slightly unbalanced (sleep deprivation) just as my semester starts. More accurately, though, I think it's the fact that I'm en route to finishing the last semester of my degree, building a family, and thinking about that proverbial Next Step.

After I walk in May (you're all invited) and polish off a single remaining class in the summer (like a solitary soldier, it doesn't have a chance), we're looking at a wide open array of options: Planting a church, or getting some focused training for planting a church, or getting a job and helping to plant a church, or just getting a job and paying off loans and getting a house with real room dividers... relocation is a possibility... taking on a pastoral position is a possibility... more commercial copywriting is a possibility... writing creatively and getting published is (a dream and, if I can work at it) a possibility...

So as I get ready to drive up to MN, I feel like I'll be enjoying the hot tub before the storm.

I've come to really enjoy the conversational aspect of blogging in the last year, begun to see it more as a series of conversations than me sharing my esoteric opinions on topic x. Some of you are rock star commentators who basically add value to everything you discuss. So, based on the fact that a good number of you read, think, and dialog here, I'd like to ask for your prayers, if you think of it.

Pray that God will give us direction for the months immediately ahead, and that I'll make the most of this soak in the hot tub. I need a perceptive spirit, a humble heart, a clear head. Maybe some of you are at a similar crossroads--if you'd like some prayer, shoot me an email or post a comment; we'd love to pray for you.

The next year will be an adventure. God has a knack for writing them. See you in a few days!



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that jealousy's not usually regarded as a good thing but I am jealous that you're going to the conference. I'm sure that it'll be a great time of spiritual refreshing.

Anonymous said...

Re: Prayer Request.

Done.

Cheers.

Will Hicks said...

I found this crazy story online. I'm looking forward to your analysis/interpretation


http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bruin/2008/02/basketball-kale.html

Andy said...

Prayers for clarity and those next steps...consider it done as well, just as Randall said.

Safe journeys, my friend.

AJ said...

Thanks for the prayers, men. As predicted, the conference was a good time--strong teaching and some needed reflection and prayer.

I found this crazy story online. I'm looking forward to your analysis/interpretation

Crazy, absolutely. And I have nothing more to say about that at this time.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife