Shave Your Snarky Soul Patch ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Shave Your Snarky Soul Patch

I am always relieved when I discover an expert who can authoritatively explain the implications of interesting human behavior. For example, you may not have been aware that the soul patch is evidence of self-regarding trendiness. Theologian Carl Trueman explains:

A couple of months back, I made some observations on the advent of that most ridiculous facial accoutrement, the soul patch. The size of these absurd tufts of hair is surely inversely proportional to their eloquence: any Christian man the wrong side of forty, or, to avoid sexism, any woman of any age, who sports one clearly suffers from that common Christian ailment of taking themselves far too seriously. The faux-rebellion such things express is really rather sad: along with dog collars and tattoos, these are things that have become oh-so-safe that every armchair ecclesiastical rebel feels the need for doing at least one of them to establish his credentials.

Trueman's article, to be fair, is not really about the soul patch. But as a defining metaphor for what he wants to say, I'm not sure it works. Full disclosure: I've worn a soul-patch multiple occasions--the last being a couple weeks ago--and I've worn it with pride--if you know what I mean... No doubt I'll grow one again next time I suffer from a fit of narcissism the mood takes me.

HT: Between Two Worlds.
Picture from the footnote. My decision(s) to grow a soul patch may have been made while under the influence of Tony Almida.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

littlepeace said...

I am proud to say that I've never sported a soul patch. Perhaps I should look into getting a faux one, however -- it might help me develop the "snarky blogging voice" my blogging professor tells me I will probably never have.

Then again, this from the guy who isn't afraid to rack up the cuss-o-meter during class, either.

must_decrease said...

Being very far on the "right side" of forty, I revel in my soul patch and all its brobdingnagin glory. Of course I have also been known to sport some super fat sideburns from time to time.

In my estimation, much of the facial hair hate comes from brothers who can't grow or make it work

Matt

AJ said...

it might help me develop the "snarky blogging voice" my blogging professor tells me I will probably never have.

For better or worse, I tend to think anyone can be snarky if they are willing to work at it. ;) Congrats on NOT having a soul patch.

In my estimation, much of the facial hair hate comes from brothers who can't grow or make it work

You nailed it, bro. I wasn't going to disclose this, but have you seen pictures of Trueman's chin? Skin like a baby's. ;) Also, I think you get extra points for using "Brobdingnagian" in a sentence.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife