The Results Are In (That Secret Sidebar Poll) ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Results Are In (That Secret Sidebar Poll)

A couple weeks ago I conducted an informal poll here to answer an existential, first order question that has been haunting the blog recently: Why? As in, Why do you read this blog? Then those of you who discovered the poll, buried in the sidebar, were confronted with the following options. I wanted to have a write-in option, but Blogger shot that one down.

Solve a mystery: Why do you read this blog?
  • I like your cute little family
  • I like the gloating ku references
  • I like the cultural commentary (books, movies, music)
  • I like the writing style
  • I like the creative theology angle
  • I like the weird eclecticism--it all works together to create a strange harmony
  • Other (and i'll think about posting a comment to say why)
  • For no good reason, thanks for clarifying that

The numerical results of the poll were very eye-opening, but once the poll closed, Blogger deleted it. So here's my attempt to approximate the outcome.

A couple of you read this blog for no good reason, baffling even yourselves.

A handful like the KU references How was I to know I had so many MU fans as readers? That must be rough on them.

A larger handful like our cute little family. I don't blame you.

Now, significant chunks of you like the weird eclecticism, the cultural commentary, and the creative theology angle. We're talking in the 70%-low 80% range, so this was very affirming for the blog.

Finally, the most common response was the writing style. If memory serves, this was close to 90%. Thank you very much; that's a shot in the authorial arm... In fact, it makes me feel so good that I'm trying not to make smug remarks about how I can now write about whatever I want to--bat poo, for example--knowing it will fly. But no, I won't give in. Again, thanks.

I visualize streamlining BitterSweetLife's content some in the year ahead. I was deliberating about doing this before I had the brilliant poll-buried-in-the-sidebar idea, but your input pushed me a little further down the road.

In 2008, this blog will have a greater focus on culture (books, music, movies), with creative theology mixed in when I have time to write it--those posts take the most effort to create. Also, I'll continue to post photos, hopefully including some non-baby photos for those of you who aren't relatives or haven't yet activated your child-idolizing genes. All of this will feature my writing style (note I am responding to your votes here) and I think the weird eclecticism will just rise naturally.

Thanks again to you voters. Anyone else thinking about streamlining their content this year?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Tom said...

"I like the cultural commentary"... that's how I tripped over you. Looking forward to reading more.

Will Hicks said...

I read for the KU commentary. It makes me smile.

AJ said...

Thanks, Tom. More on the way...

I read for the KU commentary. It makes me smile.

And reading that reminds me of the UCLA taunt I scrawled above your bunk with a sharpie. Good times... Next time you're near KC, we need to hook up. :)

Will Hicks said...

Yeah, absolutely. I don't road trip as much as I used to, but I do get up to St. Louis once or twice a year.

Roy Williams said to say he's sorry.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife