Bizarre Social Trend ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bizarre Social Trend

The Onion has discovered one of those throwbacks to medieval times we occasionally see in the movies. Get this:

GREENWOOD, IN—Sitting in a quiet downtown diner, local hospital administrator Philip Meyer looks as normal and well-adjusted as can be. Yet, there's more to this 27-year-old than first meets the eye: Meyer has recently finished reading a book.

Yes, the whole thing.

"It was great," said the peculiar Indiana native, who, despite owning a television set and having an active social life, read every single page of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Hilarious. Not many people read books cover to cover these days, but I'm happy to say I know a few more such dinosaurs.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Dustin said...

Interesting that they picked Greenwood, IN, which is where I sit as I type this. I, for one, would be surprised if there weren't more people around here reading books cover to cover than last thought--although there's no understanding the quality of books they're choosing to read.

AJ said...

I appreciate the modesty, Dustin. But just go ahead and admit that it was YOU who read To Kill a Mockingbird from cover to cover--and we are very, very proud of you. Based on what I've seen on your blog, you probably read it during a lunch break, in between even more serious literature. ;)

Yeah, I agree with your assessment...books are still being eaten whole, it's just a question of the nutritional value. Mostly fast food, I'd guess.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife