Rush Limbaugh Quotes G.K. Chesterton ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Rush Limbaugh Quotes G.K. Chesterton

One of my paid informants (the one I pay $200 a day to monitor AM radio broadcasts) just informed me that Rush Limbaugh quoted G.K. Chesterton on the air, spitting out this aphorism from Orthodoxy:

"There is a thought that stops thought. That is the only thought that ought to be stopped."

Well done, El Rushbo. Unfortunately, my informant failed to note the context wherein Rush dropped the Chestertonian bombshell. (Maybe I need to up his salary?) Has Rush been reading Chesterton (exciting prospect!)? More likely, did he happen upon this quote, and use it to emphasize one of his talking points? Or perhaps Limbaugh was simply indulging an affinity for another large, brilliant man? I'm hoping one of you can fill me in...




Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he was talking about how some Muslims are trying to silence any criticism of Islam, or to stop anything that they think is offensive to Islam. He was talking about the German opera house that cancelled its production of Mozart's Idomeneo. The production ends with a blood-spattered King Idomeneo placing the four severed heads of Poseidon, Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed on chairs. I think I read somewhere that this last part is not in the actual opera, but was added by the director.

Anonymous said...

And, to answer the question, I am the aforementioned "paid informant".

Curiously, when I inquire about payment, I'm always told that the check is in the mail. Or maybe that's Czech, in which case delivery could take longer, seeing as how it would be coming from Europe.

But wait, I'm part Bohemian, which is where? That's right, the western part of the Czech Republic. In which case...

Ariel is being sneaky, using me as currency to pay me.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife