The Longest Week ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Longest Week

I'm sitting here in "my" high school class room, keeping the students in line with an assortment of wide-angle glances, personalized don't mess with me looks, and the occasional "Hey, don't be throwin' stuff!" Outside it's a cold morning, Fall creeping closer all the time. The temperature has been dropping in recent days. In here it's warm and comfortably claustrophobic. I have my thermos mug of coffee, and I'm babysitting my students, pleasantly uninvolved, waiting for the class to end.

I'm also waiting for the week to end. This week is four days old and seven days too long. Check that. Five days too long. On Friday, I'm driving to Minneapolis with three friends to take in this year's Desiring God conference, "The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World." I have a feeling that the 1.75 days we spend in Minneapolis will be formative, given that I (and Lindsay and...Aidan) have a strong desire to bring the reality of Christ to postmodern young people.

I also have the very strong feeling that it will be good to climb in the car and leave the preoccupations of this week behind. I could put it more strongly, but I'll leave it at that. The last three days have not represented a banner period of my life. I'm praying that I'll be able to approach the weekend with a grounded perspective, tap the teaching for all it's worth, and essentially see the conference live up to its over-arching theme: Desiring God.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Tim P. said...

Have fun in Minneapolis, if you get a chance you should hang out in Uptown or hit the Museum of Art.

Anonymous said...

Ariel said, "I'm driving to Minneapolis with three friends to take in this year's Desiring God conference"



with the drawl of Napoleon dynamite, Luuckkky...

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife