Give Money to Street People? ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Give Money to Street People?

Michael Spencer, the redoubted iMonk, posed an explosive question--"Should I give money to people on the street who ask for it?"--then noted, a couple days later, "I’ve had to delete more comments from this post than I’ve deleted in 7+ years of writing at Internet Monk." I think this topic is often approached with equal amounts of visceral emotion and raw credulity. Spencer avoids both, as he dishes out some measured advice. This post will be a big help for those of you looking for ways to marry compassion and discernment in your giving.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is always a problem for me.

Cheers.

Steve said...

A few years ago I went to the hardware store. A kid, probably 12-14, approached me. He as asking for gas money on behalf of his parent(s), who were a couple parking spaces away. If I remember right, they were kicked back in the car.

I felt really bad for the kid. he sure didn't look like he wanted to be doing what he was doing. And it's just wrong for parents to exploit a kid that way. I guess they figure people will be more likely to give money to a kid. I had doubts that the money would go for gas. How do you run out of gas in a hardware store parking lot?

I think I gave him five bucks.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife