Ernest Hemingway & Jesus ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ernest Hemingway & Jesus

I just read this...

While the bombardment was knocking the trench to pieces at Fossalta, he lay very flat and sweated and prayed oh jesus christ get me out of here. Dear jesus please get me out. Christ please please christ. If you'll only keep me from getting killed I'll do anything you say. I believe in you and I'll tell everyone in the world that you are the only one that matters. Please please dear jesus. The shelling moved further up the line. We went to work on the trench and in the morning the sun came up and the day was hot and muggy and cheerful and quiet. The next night back at Mestre he did not tell the girl he went upstairs with at the Villa Rossa about Jesus. And he never told anybody. - Ernest Hemingway, Chapter VII



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Hemingway apparently has an astute understanding of human nature. I wish I were not guilty of the mistake he describes, but unfortunately I am. Why do things always look so different as soon as the crisis is over?

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife