How to Make Great Coffee ~ BitterSweetLife

Sunday, February 11, 2007

How to Make Great Coffee

The Grinder, the Machine, and Everything Else You Ever Wanted to Know about the Liquid Grace of God

Everyone is sick here. Not in the sense that we're all kinds of weird (although that could be argued) but in the sense that we're feverish, achy, and congested. Aidan has even stopped his usual practice of doing pull-ups on the top rail of his crib. Morale is suffering, and at times like this, it seems best to turn to familiar, comforting things.

Last week, Dustin thoughtfully scanned my razor-sharp treatment of the query, "Why is Coffee a Sin Against God?" Then he responded in a rather Socratic manner:

If coffee is a sin, then call me the king of all sinners!!!! Ariel, being the coffee connoisseur that you are, I have a question for you. I am in the market for an affordable, reliable coffee grinder. I have been told that "burr grinders" are the best, but don't know which model to buy. I was curious to see if you might have a suggestion. Also, I would be interested to know how you go about brewing your best pot of coffee. Do you use paper filters? A typical coffee maker? etc, etc, etc. Maybe this might be a good post for the near, near future :)

I promised to give these questions my full attention, and now, suffering from a slowed-down and stuffy view of life, it is to these vital, caffeinated issues we now turn. Read carefully. The truth I am about to divulge can and probably will change your life.

Buying a coffee bean grinder
Back in the day, Lindsay was shocked and mildly outraged, when I insisted on using some of our wedding money to purchase a Krups coffee bean grinder. Of course, this was over five years ago, and Lindsay didn't yet comprehend, firstly, the role that coffee plays in a happy, well-balanced husband. Secondly, she didn't understand that it is imperative that every real coffee lover grind his own beans. Thirdly, she didn't know that Krups is a brand that can be depended upon for efficient and durable design. Today, I'm still using the same Krups grinder I bought during those first, formative days of our honeymoon. Looking for a recommendation? Check this Krups burr grinder with a sleek metallic finish.

Making great coffee
I have experimented pretty widely on this front. I've used a French European Press machine, as well as a stove-top espresso maker, and while I like the novelty of these (and other) more involved approaches, I've found that using a quality coffee maker has been my best bet for consistently good coffee with lots of the antioxidants that people rave about. I use a paper filter, clean, cold water, and a Cuisinart coffee maker which has solid features (heat setting, timer function, 12-cup capacity for guests) that I frequently use. Oh yeah, and a great chrome finish. (Have I mentioned I like metallic coffee accessories?) Add quality beans and you won't be disappointed.

Storing Coffee Beans
I may as well say something about the ongoing, passionate debate about the best way to store your coffee beans. (What, you're not aware of this controversy? Where have you been?) Various factions will argue that beans should be stored a) in the freezer, b) in the fridge, or, c) in "natural air," e.g. the cupboard. So who's right?

First off, the freezer is out. Don't do it - because you'll end up paralyzing the good coffee oils that give the brew its full flavor and aroma. Beyond that absolute law, I'm pretty middle of the road. If I have a providentially large supply of coffee beans (as sometimes happens around my birthday and Christmas) I'll put the mother lode in the fridge and put the "immediate use" beans in an airtight jar on the counter. Mild refrigeration can't hurt beans you're not going to use immediately. But taking beans right out of the cool air and grinding them will result in some flavor loss. For best results, your coffee beans should be at room temperature - but not stale from long, unprotected storage. If you can devise an elaborate, personalized storage system to get this done, more power to you.

Final Coffee Notes
Hard to know what else to say in a coffee post of limited scope. Since espresso/cappuccino makers are very closely related to coffee makers, I'll give Krups some more backup: My bro Johnny got us a Krups cappuccino maker for our wedding that only lately has shown some signs of wear. As you might expect, I'm eying another Krups model...yeah, one with a nice chrome exterior. We'll see.

Parting advice? Once you've started brewing consistently good coffee, started sharing it with friends and talking about it, you may find yourself reexamining your drinking habits. Specifically: Doesn't my coffee deserve a better home than this chipped Martha Stewart mug? Drinking quality joe out of ugly, cracked mugs or (shudder) Styrofoam becomes virtually unthinkable. Do yourself a favor and acquire a few sturdy ceramic mugs, ideally ones that look like they came from the set of the Lord of the Rings movies. At this point, you've earned it. Your mugs will testify to the fact that coffee is a serious and beautiful element in life, one you do not take lightly.

Further questions, comments? Put 'em to me. Undoubtedly, after I've had a cup or two, I will answer.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

6 comments:

Dustin said...

Ariel,

Thank you for your sage-like wisdom on the whole coffee event. I am currently saving to purchase a new coffee "set" and will very much look into the models you suggested. Not only am I looking for "good" equipment, but also equipment with longevity. So, to hear testimony to that fact is great.

Oh, and the storage debate still rages. I have read from various sources about what to avoid and what not to avoid. Interestingly enough, none of them agrees with the other. So, this may be a question for the ages.

Tim P. said...

The message at church yesterday was on Jesus and Materialism; a primary text discussed was the one about the rich guy who had overflowing storehouses and decided to tear them down and build bigger ones. God called him out for being a fool and killed him in his sleep.

Your post got me thinking on why this man was such a fool. He clearly invested in the wrong thing. Perhaps if he had taken it upon himself to invest in gourmet beans and a superb grinder and had used these to bless his coffee-deprived servants the Lord would have had mercy...

Andrew Simone said...

What is your opinion of the French Press?

Personally, I am a big fan (but do not do it often enough).

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I've been in the market for a new burr grinder as mine has finally bit the dust. I've looked at the krups before but wasn't too sure.

I know you didn't ask me Andrew but my .02 on the Press. Personally I think a Press gives you great cup of coffee. The big reason has to do with the essential oils remaining in the cup (not filtered out). This, however, creates a dilemma because it is also quite unhealthy b/c of the oils. So as with most things if you keep to the rule of moderation you should be fine.

Ariel, a question for you though. Do you find that your coffee maker brews at the appropriate temperature. This is the complaint from most commercial people is that home machines don't brew hot enough. How does yours do?

AJ said...

the storage debate still rages...this may be a question for the ages.

I suspect you're right. I just had to get my 2 cents in!

Your post got me thinking on why this man was such a fool. He clearly invested in the wrong thing. Perhaps if he had taken it upon himself to invest in gourmet beans and a superb grinder and had used these to bless his coffee-deprived servants the Lord would have had mercy...

I'd suggest that you're right, and if this miser had been generous, God would undoubtedly have spared him. Stinginess and selfishness, not bountiful resources, were the issues at stake.

Personally, I consider myself fortunate to be in a position to discuss "the best espresso machine." I know that all God's gifts are good, even in the materialistic West, if received and shared with gratitude.

However, I think your exegesis is a little off: There was definitely no mention of coffee beans in that story. I would have noticed.

What is your opinion of the French Press?

Aside from its dubious origins, I like the thing. I'd echo Jason's comment(above) about the dangers of the FP. But if you drink responsibly, you've got nothing to worry about. The downside for me is that most mornings I don't have the time to make coffee in a more hands-on, French Press fashion.

Do you find that your coffee maker brews at the appropriate temperature?

You see, my coffee maker deserves even more credit than I gave it. Not only does my Cuisinart model brew the coffee at a near-boiling point, the hot plate has adjustable temperatures. So in the event that someone wasn't man enough to drink the really hot coffee, they could turn the setting down to a more manageable "medium."

Oneway the Herald said...

Thanks for the glimpse into an alien landscape.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife