I Am a Substitute Teacher but I Am Not a Commodity ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, February 23, 2007

I Am a Substitute Teacher but I Am Not a Commodity

I walk through the "teachers' lounge," which is more like a "teachers' really long closet with some tables and a coffee machine." The coffee machine is inexplicably nice. It uses swiss K-cups and creates hot cups of coffee to the tune of "Ethiopian," "Chocolate Macadamia Nut" and "Columbian" - for just 25 cents. Someone in upper management clearly had their priorities straight: Drab room, uncomfortable furniture, first-class coffee machine. Push-button joe has never been better.

Against the wall, I recognize a "fellow" sub cozied up with a couple of Real Teachers. However, he is betraying his calling as a substitute through shameless obsequiousness. At the moment, he is regaling the Real Teachers with a story of a dog-sitting assignment gone awry: "I was watching this guy's Boxer, a huge dog, who was real pleasant until I took him home. Then he got mean instantly. The neighbor was standing there with me, and the dog jumped up and bit off his nose..."

I am listening in because one of the Real Teachers is Coach Jim Hinrich, father of former Jayhawk great and current Bull's superstar Kirk Hinrich. Hinrich, sr., responds with a couple of appreciative grunts. He is, in fact, culpable for this story because he was just explaining that he'd be flying out to Chicago later today to watch Kirk's dogs. Two of 'em. You guessed it: Boxers. At the moment, Hinrich is probably thinking, I was just mentioning a weekend visit to see my son. Is this story over yet? Darn.

I leave the ladder-climbing sub to his power play and head back to my class room, Macadamia Nut coffee in hand. I am not a commodity. I'm in this profession for the students and the cash and the weird stories. But at least my sometimes-shameless colleagues contribute a few of the the latter. Out.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I detect a hint of envy for the "storytelling" sub?

Charles Churchill said...

He's not jealous, rob. Ariel prefers briefs over boxers. (And I can understand why, did you hear what they did to that one guys nose?)

AJ said...

I can hardly believe the aspersions being cast here. Me, jealous of my toadyish coworker?? I wouldn't mind a connection with Kirk Hinrich's Dad ("Hey Coach, fix me up with some Bulls tickets!"), but there were no strong Hinrich-bonds being built on this occasion. Believe me.

As for Gymbrall's comment. What audacity. But your polemical pun does not rise to the dignity of a response. Who was I to guess that this serious post, a thoughtful reflection on workplace politics and social climbing, would draw such puerile responses?!

I'm shocked. Utterly shocked.

Carmen said...

Not only are we not commodities, we aren't babysitters either. (ha ha, I am funny)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife