Read N.T. Wright NOW, Says Gheorghita ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, February 02, 2007

Read N.T. Wright NOW, Says Gheorghita


My privileged status as "extra special student" at MBTS gives me inside access to all my favorite professors. (Not really.) I frequently hang with the profs when they come to me asking my advice on the latest cultural trends and how to relate the the younger generation. (Don't believe me.) Of course, after letting them pay for my coffee, I ask a few questions of my own. (Pure falsehood.) Check this sweet sound byte I got from Dr. Radu Gheorghita when we recently grabbed lattes. (Lies! Lies!)

Actually, I'm doing some writing on the side for The Midwesterner, the school mag (which currently has no online presence) and I asked Dr. Gheorghita's permission to blog some slices of our interview which didn't make the final cut. I particularly was impressed with what he had to say about his "favorite books and authors." Enjoy:

My favorite author at this time is N.T. Wright, a New Testament scholar and theologian, the current Anglican Bishop of Durham. He is the theologian that comes closest to what I consider to be a phenomenon in the area of New Testament studies. A biblical theologian par excellence, with the rigor of a master in the research of primary sources, with an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of Christian Church and beliefs, and possessing equally an incredible power of synthesis of the essences of the Christian faith and a profound discernment of the complex reality in which we live, Bishop Wright will certainly be considered one of the most important theologians of his time.

His contribution to our understanding of Jesus, Paul and the message of NT in general, will be remembered as one of the key segments in the history of NT interpretation and theology. I had the chance to hear him read several of his papers and I was fascinated not only by his charisma but also by his ability to rephrase in the most relevant and shocking terms the message of the New Testament for today.

In everything that he had written so far, whether in scholarly monographs or popular titles, from the historical person of Jesus to the authority of the Scriptures, he gives the reader the chance to stand before a fresh restatement of true Christian beliefs. I have learned from him again and again that the message of Jesus and of the apostles has an incredibly penetrating and restorative force in confronting both the individual and humanity.

Even more, it was very humbling to conclude that whenever I don’t seem to make people interested in the message of the New Testament, the culprit is not the message itself, but rather my inability as a messenger to rise to the true value of the message. So when I lecture on Romans, and my students find it hard to not fall asleep, the fault is not with them or with the message. It is with me.

Frankly, these paragraphs could stand alone as an editorial or book review. But then, phenomenal commentary from Dr. Gheorghita is all in a day's work. The upshot: In view of Gheorghita's straight-up brilliance and self-effacing humility, which I very much appreciate, this recommendation is virtually irresistible. Time to grab some N.T. Wright.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like your friend is of Romanian origin. I would love to interact with him on some of those issues and see how Romanian theology has progressed since I've left the country.

Charles Churchill said...

Clicked link. Bought book. Better be good... ;)

D. Timothy Goering said...

N.T. Wright has some great stuff! I'm looking forward to getting one or two of his books while I stay with you all!
Also just wanted to let others know about his website. He has some very awesome audio-stuff! Check it out: http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

AJ said...

Virgil, you're right about Dr. Gheorghita's roots. He grew up in Communist Romania and has a remarkable story. I'll check around and see if I can put up some more of our interview. As to talking with him...you could try contacting him via the MBTS site. Do you live anywhere near Kansas City?

Gymbrall, from what I hear, this book cannot disappoint. I haven't read it yet, but will be soon. Just don't think of it in the same sentence as Mere Christianity (despite the title). People who know say it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Thanks for the link, Timothy. Also, thanks for the heads up on your upcoming visit. We'll have the futon ready for you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ariel, I'm very disappointed that my frequent requests on the behalf of Mr. Tom Wright have fallen on deaf ears. Apparently, I need to be Romanian and posess a Ph.D in order to garner your respect. I thought just being a friend was good enough! Man was I wrong! lol! Glad to see you're going to pick up one of his books!

AJ said...

Rob, you don't give yourself enough credit. Your frequent flouting of N.T. Wright was what prompted me to look at Simply Christian in the first place. Other guys get the de facto props only because you lack a presenting face in the blogosphere. Start blogging and I'll link ya - "the guy who set me on to Wright." :)

Anonymous said...

Well I don't blog because if people actually read what I thought I would have no respect. So I like to keep what little respect I have, and pout when people don't immediately decide to do what I suggest.

On another note, I am fairly surprised (read giddy) that Dr. G. likes Wright so much. His perspective on Paul, his politics, and much of his eschatology wouldn't fly to well at our institution of higer learning.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife