Prince Caspian Trailer is Up ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Prince Caspian Trailer is Up

In the debate caused by The Golden Compass hitting theaters, you may have forgotten that an altogether better fantasy series is also in production: C.S. Lewis' Narnia series will return to the screen in May '08, with Prince Caspian. (I'm not a Philip Pullman hater, but Lewis heads up the pantheon of great "children's" fantasy writers, hands down.)

Caspian is typically considered the fourth book in the seven-book series, but since it features the Pevensie children from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it makes sense to film it asap. Check the trailer here. I had to download it to make it play seamlessly, possibly because the site's getting a lot of traffic?

Lindsay and I were discussing casting decisions. I'm pretty happy with all four of the critical parts (Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy) but Lindsay isn't sure she approves of the way Peter was played--"kind of snippety, whiny," she says. "He didn't capture me as someone who could go to battle, wasn't boyishly strong. He didn't convince me as a counterpart to Edmund." I think she's being a little hard on Peter.

Woah, and get this. Now, after thinking about it, she has revealed that she's not too fond of Susan either. "I didn't dislike her...I just didn't think her acting was that amazing. The two younger characters had more passion and intrigue in their acting. Edmund was very good. Lucy was cute."

In case you are wondering, this is what happens when a theater diva sounds off on casting decisions. Linsday has about 15 years of experience playing lead roles in about every play known to man. (Her career began in middle school--unless you count a single gig as one of the Three Little Pigs in elementary school--and ended when she married me...[hangs head]) When we talk about actors, I'm like "he was pretty good." And Lindsay says something like the above...

Anyway, the trailer looks promising. Just be sure to read the book(s) first.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Hi,I just wanted to mention that Prince Caspian wasn't always the 4th book in the series. I have a set of the Chronicles of Narnia that I've had since I was a kid. In that series, Prince Caspian is the LWW is first and PC is second.

(I think this is originally the order that the series was written.)

At some point since then, "they" decided to order the books chronologically and it has always bugged me!

(Just my $0.02.)

Thanks,

Craig

AJ said...

Now that's interesting. I could see Prince Caspian making sense as book 2...never knew it had been produced that way, though.

Thanks for the Lewis trivia, Craig. It's something I'm always in the market for.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife