The Golden Compass: Almost Christian ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Golden Compass: Almost Christian

Philip Pullman wants to kill God. (It's already been tried.) And he says that C.S. Lewis' books are "reactionary and dishonest." (Sour grapes?) But for all that, I think his books are worth reading and the upcoming screen adaption of the first book in his trilogy, The Golden Compass, will be an intriguing film.

Here's a great article which explains why I'm being so generous to a C.S. Lewis hater. Read it. Then grab the book, and watch the movie when it comes out in December... It won't be as good as Narnia, but the story may be glorious on the big screen.

Pullman ends up pointing back to God in spite of himself.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

RG said...

I have been seriously contemplating what to do about this film. When I first heard about it, it looked intriguing.

Thanks for the tip.

Regi G

Will Robison said...

I read the books when I heard it was being made into a movie. To be honest, I didn't have a clue what sort of "Christian" book it was until the third book. Up until that point I knew that it had something to do with souls and alternate dimensions (where souls all took different forms, but everyone had one) and a mystical dust that seemed to have the power to transform lives.

So I would concur with your statement about the book, Ariel, but I want to put out a warning to parents. The books were violent and intense in places. So, if the movie is anything like the books, you might want to leave the wee ones at home until you see the film yourself.

Steve said...

First Harry Potter, now this? What are we going to do with you? :)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife