Yet Another Milestone...Amazing ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Yet Another Milestone...Amazing


Today is my birthday. And I am not too high-minded to blog about it. Festivities began this morning, when I celebrated by sleeping in to 6:30, then dressed for comfort, indulgently wearing a favorite pair of shoes--cobalt blue Ben Shermans--that clashed with my grey-blue sweatshirt, no apologies. After enjoying a father-son breakfast with Aidan and receiving a birthday burp from Asher, I took off for school. So to speak.

Because I knew that in the afternoon I would encounter an exam that would force me to vomit a torrent of homogeneous, disconnected information, formulated in generic bullet lists in groupings of three or five ("write the five guidelines...the three principles...the five requirements...the three standards...the five dont's...etc., etc., for 4 pages) I preemptively struck back by skipping my first class, getting in the Bible, drinking a grande mocha, and reading a new book (pictured, right) instead of the loser book assigned for afore-mentioned class. Ha!

Returning from school, I encountered some people who seemed very happy to see me! Wow, even I was impressed. When you've got all these factors working for you...great birthday.

Now excuse me while I go chase Aidan down. "Real posts" are in the works...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

littlepeace said...

Sweet! Even Ariel Vanderhorst skips class sometimes.
Wow, now I don't feel so bad about skipping two of mine yesterday. Of course, I did have a terrific cold, so I had some excuse.
Oh, and happy birthday, too.

Anonymous said...

YOU skip class? Ariel, I had such a different picture of you! lol. Well, I guess you deserve a day off. Blessings on the next year. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Too bad I didn't know in advance. I could've arranged a singing telegram from Mike Anderson and Norm Stewart. Oh well. There's always next year.

Cheers.

AJ said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

It's a good thing that you didn't send that singing telegram, Sherman, because Lindsay and I were watching 24, and that extra dose of misery and pathos might have pushed us over the edge.

As to skipping class...I'm a big believer in Justified Skipping!

One of my professors once said, "You don't have to come to this class if you don't want to. This class is optional. So are the assignments and reading. Shoot, this whole school is optional. Your grades are optional too..." Point being: do what you need to do in order to master the material--and if my lectures aren't helping you do that, then feel free to skip.

I've kind of adopted this principle as my own--reserving a special hatred, er, disapproval, for teachers who shore up sub-par teaching skills with mandatory attendance--wow, just like in middle school! :)

Then there are birthday, which create a free pass situation where even a good class can be skipped, if the mood takes you.

Remember, the best learning takes place outside the classroom.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife