Books Battle for "Most Provocative Title" Award ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, December 31, 2007

Books Battle for "Most Provocative Title" Award


Over the last week, I've been reading Rob Bell's Sex God (review on the way) and now I find myself looking at a review copy of Pagan Christianity? by Frank Viola and George Barna.

I'm all in favor of heady, incendiary titles, so long as they make good with some solid, jaw-dropping copy. Mere titillation is, of course, deplorable. I'll be reporting back on how these two books fare...

In the meantime, Quick Reader Poll: Which title do you think is more provocative?

And while we're at it, are there other outrageously eye-catching titles that I should be aware of before I hand out my "Most Provocative" award?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

6 comments:

Jimmy Snowden said...

Ariel,
"Pagan Christianity" stands a good head and a half taller than "Sex God."

"Sex God" is just a bit too predictable. It just seems like Bell is trying too hard to make the eye brow raise--it almost makes it fake. It is like a bad salesman who doesn't even try to hide the fact that he is throwing a classic salesman spiel.

Jimmy

Andy said...

Ariel - check out Joe Thorn's blog - he's just starting to blog about Pagan Christianity, which I concur, is the more provocative title.

...although I do have Sex God on my shelf, about 5th in line to be read...

AJ said...

"Sex God" is just a bit too predictable... It is like a bad salesman who doesn't even try to hide the fact that he is throwing a classic salesman spiel.

Wow, that's quite a rip, Jimmy. I'm still deciding whether I agree...but I can't argue with the zing on that smack. One thing for sure: titles definitely play a marketing role.

Thanks for the tip, Andy. I'll see what Joe has to say.

I do have Sex God on my shelf, about 5th in line to be read...

Your self-restraint is admirable.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind on my blog reading lately so this comment is slightly light. But i've been interested in reading Pagan Christianity. Not because of the title, but because of what i read about it on its website. I'm looking forward to your thorough review.

John Goering said...

Haven't read either one, but I am definitely thinking about reading Pagan Christianity, if only because Barna's name is on the cover...and statisticians can't lie...can they?

Oh, and I should know better since I just read Matthew 7 this morning, but...sorry, I just can't resist letting the Grammar Nazi in me come out again. It's "fare", not "fair". http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/fair.html

AJ said...

and statisticians can't lie...can they?

Was your tongue pressed to the side of your mouth as you typed that?

Geez, another grammar mistake. To be fare to myself, I do know the difference... ;) Fixed.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife