When Great Authors Talk About Each Other... ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, November 25, 2006

When Great Authors Talk About Each Other...

...Everyone wins. At least I think so. A little while ago I posted Flannery O'Connor's remarks regarding a couple of C.S. Lewis's books, then I found a script/hack that lets people add their own links directly to the body of a blog post - and I decided to experiment.

Of course, I need you to play along! Do you have a favorite quote, from a respected author/thinker, in which he/she comments on another author? (Or perhaps you'd like to scramble and find a new one.) If so, please add a link to your quote below; you'll probably want to post the quotation on your blog.

Now, go ahead and link up! And if you would, leave a comment explaining/justifying your quotation. I'll link "my" quote to get things started.



I'm curious if anyone will link to my favorite C.S. Lewis quote regarding another author...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those people who have difficulty moving from "research" to the actual writing process. The quote I link to helps me remember that writers write.

Anonymous said...

I too am not sure if my post is what you had in mind...the bit of the post I refer to is Dyson's quote about Tolkein's Lord of the Rings during a public reading.

AJ said...

What impresses me about most of these quotes is the way that authors are often at each other's throats. Now, I could see that happening in the murder mystery industry, but really...

I guess even brilliant writers have that gut instinct to disable the competition. Not that I didn't like what D.H. Lawrence said about Whitman (thanks Semicolon)...but Dyson was way too rough on Tolkien (thanks Mrs. Blythe).

And thank you Kevin for the one quote that may actually help me get some writing done. ;) I may have to return to this topic. When writers talk about each other, how helpful is it, really? Guess it depends on who's talking.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife