Good Monsters (Review) - Jars of Clay ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Monsters (Review) - Jars of Clay

Flash Review: Can You Rock the Gospel?

Jars of Clay, Good Monsters
Like all questions that bank on not-so-infallible human ability, the answer has to be qualified. Can you rock the gospel? Some nay-sayers would suggest that such a thing is intrinsically impossible—rock music as a medium of communication does not exactly lend itself to deep reflection. However, my answer is slightly more optimistic. Can you rock the gospel?

Yeah, but only if you’re good.


Case in point: “Dead Man” from the new album by Jars of Clay,
Good Monsters. You should really listen to the song, but here are some of the lyrics:

January 1, I’ve got a lot of things on my mind
I’m looking at my body through a new spy satellite
Try to lift a finger but I don’t think I can make the call
So tell me if I move ‘cause I can’t feel anything at all

So carry me
I’m just a dead man
Lying on the carpet
Can’t find a heartbeat
Make me breathe
I want to be a new man
Tired of the old one
Out with the old plan

I’d argue that the rhythm and hooks of this song add emphasis to the reality of the “ghost in the machine...”
So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand… Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? - Romans 7:21, 24

Our fallen natures wreak havoc with our good intentions until Christ picks our spirits up off "the carpet." So, can real gospel truth be embedded in a serious rock song? Can you rock the gospel?*

Yes. But only if you're capable of fusing music with theology like Jars of Clay.

* I am not saying...
We don't need preaching anymore!
Forget church, get this Jars album!
If someone heard this song, they wouldn't have to read the Bible!



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true.

Starting with their very first album, Jars of Clay (together with Waterdeep) have always astonished me how skillfully they weave musical meaning with lyrics whose depth and vividity are on par with great poetry.

Will Robison said...

You've moved into a new area of theology with your last three posts - Speculative Theology (like the science fiction of religion ;) Good Rock Music that's also Good Theology? Jayhawks in the Final Four? Bunny Rabbits to pastor Episcopalian Churches? How alike you are to C.S. Lewis already...

No, but seriously, I read the lyrics here and the first thing they reminded me of are the lyrics of U2 - a rock group that has been slyly dropping theology into their songs for years and almost nobody has noticed.

Sometimes I think these groups stay under the Christian Rock tag because they're afraid to join the mainstream and take their lumps. But every good Christian should know how many people out there in the rest of the world need to hear this message. Jars of Clay does the world a disservice if they remain a "Christian" rock band.

AJ said...

Jars of Clay (together with Waterdeep) have always astonished me how skillfully they weave musical meaning with lyrics whose depth and vividity are on par with great poetry.

You and me both, John. Well said.

How alike you are to C.S. Lewis already...

Thanks, Will. It's kind of you to toss Lewis props** my way, instead of the "wildly eclectic" label, which could also be applied... :)

Jars of Clay does the world a disservice if they remain a "Christian" rock band.

Jars of Clay went "mainstream" with their self-titled debut album, which included the hit single, "Flood." However, there was some backlash when listeners "discovered" that Jars was a Christian band. I have no doubt that the group would like to get back into the mainstream...unfortunately, they have the stigma of the "Christian" label to overcome...

** Lewis props: the highest level of compliment which can be bestowed upon to this blog - excepting cold, hard cash, of course.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife