Grassroots C.S. Lewis Movement ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Grassroots C.S. Lewis Movement

I'm currently trying to engineer a grassroots movement on my campus (Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) aiming for the creation of a C.S. Lewis class in the spring semester. The class would be taught by my favorite professor, Dr. DeVine, who is currently writing a book on Lewis. If successful, this class will contribute greatly to my general happiness and mental stability in '07, as well as giving me a chance to read and research an author I already love.

This would be something akin to the ideal education.

Why am I posting this here? Simply to share my excitement. (And so the two MBTS students who read this blog will email me so I can add their names to the petition.;) I really hope this works.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. The sound of one living states away wondering how he can transport himself to MBTS multiple times a week if the class makes. Leaning toward time travel, but will settle for underground bullet train.

Anonymous said...

Can someone say "man-crush". So who do you have a "crush" on more...C.S. Lewis or Dr. Devine? lol!

AJ said...

Hmmmm.

Well, the class is only meeting once a week: Tuesday afternoon 1:00-2:50. Do it, you know you want to.

Can someone say "man-crush".

The only man-crushes I do take place when someone tries to jump me in a dark alley. Everyone knows this.

Adam said...

Good luck with your request! I hope you get it granted! This class I've taken (on Oxford Christians) this semester had been amazing. If I had it my way, a class on Lewis would be be a core requirement!!! His greatest contribution to theology, without a doubt, is the way approached theology with his imagination (which he called "the organ of meaning") as well as rationality (which he called "the organ of truth"), making for a holistic approach to God -- something that is far, far too often neglected in theological education, methinks.

AJ said...

If I had it my way, a class on Lewis would be be a core requirement!!! His greatest contribution to theology, without a doubt, is the way approached theology with his imagination...as well as rationality...making for a holistic approach to God...

Well said. You just came dangerously close to summarizing two of the central tenets of this blog:

1) Lewis should be required reading in every seminary.
2) Christianity suffers from a lack of imaginative rationality.

By the way, good news. The class is official!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife