Finding the Essence of Worship ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, November 06, 2006

Finding the Essence of Worship

Back in the day, the priests lit up cartloads of incense and most people thought Yahweh just liked a lot of incense. Also, after thousands of burnt offerings, it seemed obvious that God was a huge fan of bar-b-q. King David's perspective was a little different.

Incense was a symbol, an arrow pointing to reverent prayer rather than Yahweh's penchant for sandalwood fumes.
"May my prayers be like incense before you," he asked of God (Psalm 141:2). David's affinity for God and his love of worship revealed to him that heart-allegiance was what God was after. Incense was a symbol, an arrow pointing to reverent prayer rather than Yahweh's penchant for sandalwood fumes.

David was never a Levitical priest, never could be, but he saw through, utilized the priestly regalia in a way that few priests did. David witnessed many sacrifices made to God, and grasped the elusive essence behind the ritual: a subdued and repentant heart.

Which makes me wonder, What are we missing today? True, the days of ritualistic worship (which God decreed for awhile) are over. But what signs are we given now, to point us Godward? If history is any kind of schoolbook, they are no doubt staring us in the face.

"Father, let this closet be my pulpit as I preach to my soul?"



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

Ariel,

I have found plenty of ritualistic worship in both the Episcopal and the Roman Catholic churches. And I dare say the Eastern Orthodox qualifies, too. I came from a tradition that eschewed ritual so much they gave up creeds. (Unitarian Universalism). But even there, we had a kind of liturgical structure. It is ironic that when I left to find a Christian church, I was drawn to the more ritual oriented ones.

Ritual can be empty, true, but for me, as a new Christian, the rituals are filled with meaning. Like the incense in David's song, they become a way to focus our love and send it towards God. They provide a structure within which we blossom in Christ's love.

I love incense, especially. And of course, communion.

Unknown said...

"What are we missing today? True, the days of ritualistic worship (which God decreed for awhile) are over." The funny thing is, I think we still tend towards ritual and ceremony to replace that heart of worship. Even though the days of ritualistic worship as decreed my God are over, little things can so easily become meaningless ritual, and we lose their essence. Now, bearing with what Rachel says above, I'm not saying all ritual is meaningless, but even in the non-traditional churches: raising our hands, closing our eyes in worship, these can all become tropes which we mimic and repeat and forget why we did them in the first place. Sorry, I realise this is quite a tangent... but you've always been so good about my little tangents :)

AJ said...

Ritual can be empty, true, but for me, as a new Christian, the rituals are filled with meaning.

I find it helpful to remember that it was God who originally handed "rituals" to his people as a way to lead them toward himself. Back then, the forms of worship were just as prone to be abused - and they were. Nevertheless, they were a rich vein of communion with God for those who learned to see through them (like David).

The funny thing is, I think we still tend towards ritual and ceremony to replace that heart of worship.

I tend to agree. Even the "new rituals" (like "breaking bread") that Christ began are often elevated over the realities they represent. Nevertheless, as people who need metaphors, acts and signs, we should view Jesus-rituals as the rightful property of God's people, to point them toward worship that's not skin deep.

I like your updating the discussion for non-traditional churches - "lifting hands, closing eyes" - good call. A tangent? Not at all.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife