Spiritual Dodges, When Memes Attack, Sad Luck Birds ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, December 02, 2005

Spiritual Dodges, When Memes Attack, Sad Luck Birds

This is one of those awful, catch-all posts which even the best of us write upon occasion.

:: Spiritual Dodges ::

When I looked at the Thanksgiving Break in the rearview mirror, it was easy to see what had happened. I read Malcolm Muggeridge's A Third Testament, C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Jeremiah Denton's When Hell Was In Session. For good measure, I also began Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. I did not finish my Theology paper. On some level, I think this qualifies as a spiritual dodge - I enthusiastically occupied myself with various and sundry worthwhile things so that I wouldn't end up doing what I really needed to. However, I think this is allowed at least once a year, generally on Thanksgiving Break. In real life, of course, it is frowned upon.

:: When Memes Attack ::

The estimable John B. and insightful Sherry have both tagged me with a meme. I am surrounded. And I feel silly admitting this, but after a year of blogging, I'm still not sure what exactly "meme" stands for. All I know is that when someone says "meme" and then my name, I am expected to write a series of brief, humorous answers to a set of questions. Well, that's cool. I kind of like thinking out loud anyway. But maybe one of you could explain to me the deeper meaning of this meme business. Both of those meme posts are in production, and will be arriving soon.

:: Sad Luck Birds ::

You probably know who I'm talking about. And it's to your credit that none of you have been giving me grief about it. Of course, I know that some of you have been snickering under your breath, and so when your sports team falls upon hard times, don't expect me to look the other way. Yeah, the Jayhawks are young, talented, and underwhelming. They've lost three winnable games to start the season 2-3 for the first time since 1972. The losses have come against well-regarded opponents whose caliber exceeds that of, say, Sam Houston State, but the defeats still smart.

This lackluster start to the season is slightly ironic because, as of this week, I am in a position very well suited for commenting on it. A couple days ago, Jeremy Chrysler of Phog Blog invited my to come aboard as a contributing writer. Yesterday, with considerable satisfaction, I tapped out my first official post as a KU beat writer (albeit an unpaid, unofficial one). Very exciting stuff. Hopefully now the Jayhawks will turn their season around so I can start writing upbeat, gloating posts full of swagger.

::

Ok, that's all.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife