Reluctant Self-Revelation ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, December 05, 2005

Reluctant Self-Revelation

In this segment of BitterSweetLife, you will gain some insight into my casual likes and dislikes, life ambitions, marital relationship, and reading preferences. In other words, this post will tell you more about me than you ever wanted to know. You may want to just skip to bittersweetness.

However, to make this easier on the poor souls who will continue reading, my answers will be brief and somewhat disingenuous. I'm deeply apologetic, but I can never make myself complete these things seriously. Thanks to Sherry at Semicolon for making all this possible. ;)

1. Seven things to do before I die:

a. There's this digital camera by Nikon, the D70s. I've seen it on the shelf and read the reviews. It's a beautiful artistic tool. The rest you know.
b. Climb Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park, CO - at least 2-3 more times.

c. Write a book. And not just any book, a good one. Furthermore, this good book must be published. And not by the author.

d. Develop a legit three-point shot and keep it. Having been brought up in the world of half-court hoops, setting up outside the three-point arc has been an acquired taste. At times I've owned a lovely trey. And then, in time, it slips away... I need to get it back some day. (To stay.)

e. Have several wonderful kids, one of whom will play college hoops at KU en route to a long, prosperous NBA career. When this child is interviewed on draft day, he will say glowingly, "My dad taught me everything I know." Of course, the other children will do notable things as well.

f. Know God better and better.

g. Get to the bottom of this Bittersweetness thing.

2. Seven things I cannot do:

a. Avoid sarcasm for long periods of time.
b. Play a musical instrument.

c. Afford to buy gourmet chocolate very often.

d. Get over the reality of God.

e. Stop playing basketball.

f. Stop writing.

g. Stop loving Christ.

3. Seven things that attract me to Lindsay:

a. Her very good looks.
b. Her ability to sing almost anything.

c. Her sympathetic, emotional nature, which forces me to slow down, talk about things, and not be such a workaholic.

d. Her love for my poetry.

e. Her talent for impersonations.

f. Her openness to new things.

g. Her general cuteness.

4. Seven things I say most often:

a. "Well, should we have some coffee?"
b. "In the words of C.S. Lewis..."

c. "Help!"

d. "Nice shot."

e. "Go for it!"

f. "...and..."

g. "Could you explain?"

5. Seven books (or series) I love:

a. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
b. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

c. The Adam Dalgliesh Mystery Series by P.D. James

d. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

e. Recapture the Wonder, by Ravi Zacharias

f. Phantastes by George MacDonald

g. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (they count as a series)

6. Seven movies I watch over and over again (or would watch over and over if I had the time):

a. The Third Man.
b. The Princess Bride.

c. The Lord of the Rings films. Extended editions of all three, except for The Return of the King, which featured a lackluster extended take.

d. Henry V (Kenneth Branagh)

e. Memento, a great depressing film that continues to fascinate.

f. Spiderman. Childhood heroes are impossible to resist.

g. On second thought, I am disallowing this entire section because of its flawed premise. "If I had the time" to watch these movies over and over, I would be using that time to do more important things like improve my hoops game, write a book, or run around in the Colorado Rockies.

7. Seven people I want to join in, too (you don't really have to) :

a. Brood Mode
b. Paula

c. Camille

d. John B.

e. Gavin

f. Kimberly

g. Grace


Here are the seven sevens you’re supposed to list:
1. Seven things to do before I die
2. Seven things I cannot do
3. Seven things that attract me to [my spouse or significant other or best friend]
4. Seven things I say most often
5. Seven books (or series) I love
6. Seven movies I watch over and over again (or would watch over and over if I had the time)
7. Seven people I want to join in, too

::

Finis



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insightful

Paula said...

I did this one a while back:

http://paulalight.blogspot.com/2005/09/seven-seven.html

I guess I haven't been saying "I love you, too, kitty" that much lately...more like "STOP BITING ME, YOU LITTLE BRAT!"

But I still wuvs her. :)

Anonymous said...

>f. Spiderman. Childhood heroes are impossible to resist.

I can't believe this made the list.
Scott

AJ said...

I can't believe this made the list.

No, I don't suppose you would understand. A necessary depth is lacking. ;)

C'mon, we can't be profound all the time.

Carmen said...

Hey Ariel, I finally did my 7x7 post. Thanks for including me!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife