The Battle for Blog Supremacy ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Battle for Blog Supremacy



So, against my better judgment, I've been getting slightly involved in this 2005 Weblogs Awards thing. I've been scouting the opposition a little, counting up the number of staff who contribute to the blogs out in front, and tallying their areas of interest.

In my category, three of the top four blogs are conservative political blogs, which is cool as far as it goes. If you're going to lose, you may as well do it for a good cause. I also noticed that the top vote-getters are engaging in plenty of high-spirited self-promotion on their own sites, which frankly, put my own shameless self-promotion efforts to shame. To try and close the shameless self-promotion gap, I added a banner in the sidebar, but I'm afraid that (as in KU's most recent loss to date) this may be a case of too little too late.

Total domination seems to be pretty much out of reach, but I'm hoping to salvage a middle-of-the-road finish. There are fifteen finalists, and I'm currently hanging around at seventh place. If I finish above tenth, I'll be ecstatic. Obviously, a last place finish would be very embarrassing. Of course, if each of you readers were to vote religiously every 24 hours for the next week, who knows what might happen?

Here's the link you're frantically searching for: Go Vote For BitterSweetLife!

Let's make this magical... ;)


Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

9 comments:

Andy said...

I shake my head in sorrow. Has it come to this? That this pastor-in-training, this humble child of God, should stoop to such shameless self-promotion...all for a 7th place finish?

My heart aches, as he now pursues a materialistic goal.

Oh what would Gilbert Keith say?

;-)

Andy said...

Might I quickly add...that I voted for you yesterday and today. :-)

AJ said...

Yes. *Hangs head.* The beauty of notoriety evaporates pretty quickly when you have to generate the buzz yourself. If things had gone according to plan, this blog would have won in a landslide and I would have noticed after the event, just in time to briefly mention the victory with a devil-may-care smile.

Here's the G.K. quote you're looking for:

"I never in my life said anything merely because I thought it funny; though of course, I have had ordinary human vainglory, and may have thought it funny because I had said it." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Apply where appropriate...and be sure to go vote. ;)

ninjapoodles said...

I've been voting for you, and will step up the shameless plugging:

"Vote for Ariel! He's smarter than you, cuter than Guy Pearce, and his wife's a babe! What does he know that you don't? Find out now!"

Tim P. said...

I think you should consider implementing a "bussing" tactic to the local library. Find local vagrants, give them some coffee and show them a computer...

(i've voted too)

Andy said...

And now there's a plug for you on Relevant's page!

Anonymous said...

You said, "In my category, three of the top four blogs are conservative political blogs, which is cool as far as it goes. If you're going to lose, you may as well do it for a good cause." So, are only conservative political blogs advocating a good cause, in your opinion? What is a "good cause" in your opinion? I would have to disagree with you. There can be good causes by anyone conservative, moderate, liberal, or whatever, just as all of them can be related to bad causes. Anyways, congratulations! Pax, Existential Punk

Paula said...

I voted for you! Where's my cookie?

AJ said...

Thanks all! The increasing support has me pumped. That, and it's a lot of fun to go around talking like a politician. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Paula, a cookie would hardly do. The plan is to have a huge barbecue at our place after the victory. Streamers, confetti, acceptance speech...the works. You may have to fly in.

"What is a "good cause" in your opinion?"

Existential punk, I'm willing to acknowledge the goodness of any cause that sees fit to vote for this blog in the 2005 Weblogs Awards. Voters of any and all stripes will be tolerated. Forget tolerated - welcomed with open arms! That is what you meant, right?

Actually, I'm not hard and fast in my political alliances. "A good cause," in my book, is one that aligns itself with Jesus Christ. The degree to which a political party can accomplish this is, and should be, quite limited.

Vote on.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife