Exams and Greeks ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, October 29, 2004

Exams and Greeks

My classes have kept me on a short leash recently. I've got a couple crucial exams and a big paper coming up, and the fate of the blog hangs (temporarily) in the balance.

In lieu of incredibly great posts, something cutting-edge and inescapably revealing (like my posts usually are), I'll do what I can. More photos and the occasional poem may be the way to go.

In the meantime:

Yesterday was Lindsay's birthday, and the event came off without a hitch, if I may say so myself. She enjoyed her gifts and lunch, and will now suffer the embarrassment of being as old as me for the next eleven days (An awful fate, apparently. All year long she derides me as "old," so the next week and a half are payback time.)

One amusing wrinkle in the festivities came last night, when we went out to dinner with Lindsay's parents. We headed to a local Greek place, and as "luck" would have it, we just happened to drop by on the night when the Greek Band was in session, accompanied by the accomplished Greek Belly Dancer. This made for a unique evening. We munched lamb and pita, and Lindsay would occasionally glance my way to make sure I wasn't being seduced by wiles of the (oldish) dancer.*

We commented on the Greek Photos covering the walls, the Greek Neon-light Marquee ("s-a-y ...o-p-a!"), and the intentional schmaltziness of the restaurant. Business must have boomed when My Big Fat Greek Wedding hit theatres, and management apparently did what they could to capture the film's motif. After blessing the food, Lindsay's dad said, "That was your big fat dad's Greek blessing," which got us started on the movie theme.

Anyway, the day was a success, Lindsay would tell you.
Now, wasn't that a great post?

(*Sequence exaggerated slightly for dramatic effect. -Ed.)



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"One amusing wrinkle in the festivities came last night"

Should you be mentioning wrinkles in a post about getting older? :)

tequilita said...

happy birthday lindsay!!!

AJ said...

Man, Bagel, I can't believe I overlooked that obvious misnomer. "Development" or "moment" would have been much more appropriate. I'd hate to accidentally invoke some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy... ;)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife