G.K. Chesterton on Christmas ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

G.K. Chesterton on Christmas

I don't think anyone, alive or dead, has taught me more about heartfelt gratitude than G.K. Chesterton. Few men can say more in fewer words. I present to you, G.K. Chesterton on Christmas:

If my children wake up on Christmas morning and have someone to thank for putting candy in their stocking, have I no one to thank for putting two feet in mine? - Orthodoxy

Talk about a breath-taking Christmas dinner toast (from his dull-sounding but amazingly brilliant masterpiece, Orthodoxy)... Thanks to Iambic for making me go dig for this quote. And thanks to G.K. Chesterton for his rapier-like powers of thankful expression. And thanks to God for putting two feet in my Adidas, worn with socks, not stockings, for the record.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ariel,
Chesterton is brilliant! I've re-read Orthodoxy nearly every year since I found it ten years ago. He is always irenic in his sharp arguments. Here is one of my favorite Chesterton lines: "If there were no God, there would be no atheists."

-Rustin

AJ said...

I agree, there isn't really anyone else like Chesterton...although C.S. Lewis was influenced by him a great deal. I found Chesterton kind of late in the game, so I still have my first rereadings to look forward to. Maybe this Christmas...

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife