Faith Like a Child ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Faith Like a Child

Simplicity Takes Humility

Aidan James Vanderhorst
How difficult it becomes to be basic, in the way that a child is basic. Each year the distance lengthens but there is still a great Back Then that we can all refer to: Motives were simple and seldom unexpressed. Thoughts tended to be crude but clear. Actions took place without Hamlet-like deliberation. Regret, when it came, was simple—to be sad was to cry. Joy, when it arrived, was plain in a beatific sense. To be happy was to laugh and smile. Trust was instinctual.

Only later in life does living become so veiled, so etched with conflicting emotions, so complicated. We’ve reached the Here & Now, which means, in case you missed it, that we have become older and wiser, but in some ways we have been reduced. We have gotten older and smaller at the same time, and now we are smaller than the three and four-year-olds we were.

Truisms are doubted, not because they have been found false but because they have been found childlike. Sayings like If God doesn’t give me what I want, it’s because he has something better are considered too simple, too purely speculative, to be of much use. Surely it’s like admitting defeat to seize maxims as basic as this. Surely we can see further into God’s purposes. Surely being a Christian doesn’t require trust that leaves so many questions on the table. But the echoes of early days are not entirely gone…

Maybe God’s favorite graces are designed with children in mind. There are reasons to think so, like the fact that God said so when he was down here, and I am starting to think I should believe him. Maybe Jesus wants humble followers and not know-it-alls with smarmy grins.

I’m uncomfortable with the humility it takes to embrace simplicity in faith. Rejoice in all things and Do not worry about tomorrow sound like easy outs. Maybe that is because they are intended to be that way, heavenly escapes so easy that only a child will grasp them, and maybe I am a fool for walking away.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog. Check out two books: God Created and Jesus, the Word --- they are useful for anyone seeking to talk to their young children about God

Anonymous said...

Thoreau (again):
"I have always been regretting that I am not as wise as the day that I was born." Of course, he's dealing with our confusion between what we really need and what we think we need, but to remain focused on what we really need seems to me an act of faith as well, no?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this unadorned, fresh,and yes, simple (in the best sense of the word) post. I needed to hear it. I'm glad you wrote it.

As I read your words, the words that I read today in the book of the prophet Micah came to mind: "[God] has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Praying for a childlike heart of faith to grasp what you and Micah have written and hold tightly to it,

LEV

AJ said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mark.

to remain focused on what we really need seems to me an act of faith as well, no?

Absolutely. Maybe, if we tilt the task at the proper angle, we could even say that remaining focused on what we really need is the essence of faith.

I appreciate the verse from Micah and your thoughts, LEV. As I read that verse, the "simplicity" of the requirements struck me. That's refreshing.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife