Christmas Renewal ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Renewal

I Don't Just Want To Celebrate, I Want To Be Changed


I'm entering that time of the year when the "priority," or perhaps the "necessity" is to slow down and find the deeper, truer Christmas currents running beneath the tinsel, crowded parking lots and blinking lights. I want to embrace some things that are elusive, that, apart from the renewing presence of Jesus himself, threaten to be lost. I'm looking for strong hope, enduring joy, and wonder, and - as the manic commercial buzz inadvertently reveals at every turn - not even a new Acura or a better painkiller will do it.

As far as the mad rush of the season goes, I'm clocking out. I hope you can do the same. Defy the culture and your own surface instincts to discover what we all really need: A God who was born into our race, lived in poverty and died, not to give us prosperity and self-esteem, but to raise us from the dead and give us the hearts of happy children.

In a perfect world, everyone who's read this blog over the past year would be receiving a C.S. Lewis anthology, some coffee, and a subscription to ESPN Fullcourt in the mail...but this world isn't perfect yet, is it? So instead, I refer you to a post that some of you have enjoyed in the past. Embrace The Christmas We Miss, by the grace of Jesus, and have a very Merry Christmas!

(Out.)



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, my friend.

Susannah said...

Merry Christmas Ariel!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife