Dirty Money ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Dirty Money


How much did this woman know, and when?

I felt like a vulture at twilight.

Dusk found Lindsay and me rooting through the dumpster behind our apartment. She held a flashlight while I dug around with a four-foot length of wood, previously considered a walking stick. Finally I was forced to acknowledge the futility of the hands-off approach and I vaulted up and over the side. If you want the good stuff you have to get dirty.

I’ve been hard up before, but I never thought it would come to this.

Our descent into dirt-broke-ness began this morning when I carefully counted my remaining cash ($3) and placed it with sad tenderness in my battered wallet. I sighed. And it’s at this point that my memory gets blurry.

I recall that I went around trying to get our loft into shape—turned on some lights, moved some books, made coffee. The familiar domestic stuff you do by rote. But it’s the nature of routine that you don’t remember it very clearly. And I didn’t.

With the familial duties complete, the place was in decent order when several men from my church came over for some coffee, Bible-mulling, vision-casting and discussion (these eclectic events are called, I think, “Leaders’ Meetings”). The various elements of the occasion were enjoyed in due course, and my visitors disbanded. As I got ready to head out the door to help some friends move, I “remembered to remember” to bring my wallet—in case I needed to spring for anything, say some chewing gum, a glass of ice water or some toothpicks. Or if we went to McDonald’s for lunch then I could leave the tip.

So imagine my dismay when my wallet turned up missing.* A cursory search did not reveal it, and I was forced to leave without my security, haunted by the thought that I might become desperately thirsty and be unable to buy a fountain drink. Only when I returned home, about five hours later, did the seriousness of the situation sink in.

My wallet was gone.

No, really. I looked in all the usual “transitional” places—the change can by the front door, the various counters and shelves, my closet, my pockets…nothing. Next I began a survey of the more imaginative places to lose small items: under futon cushions, in bathroom drawers, under piles of books, behind the computer…nope. In desperation, I searched the truly arcane corners of our loft—the bottom of the fridge, within my income tax files, under the furnace, inside several pairs of shoes…nada.

Gone.

Quickly, I developed several conceptual models to explain the facts confronting me. They were as follows.

  1. One of the church leaders accidentally pinched my wallet.
  2. All this was a dream. I’m still dreaming.
  3. Spontaneous combustion.
  4. I’m growing blind.
  5. Evolution?
  6. Lindsay
Lindsay had, of course, already helped me turn the apartment over; and besides, her private cash reserves far outstripped mine. I eliminated theories 3 and 5 because they were not sustainable in the face of scientific inquiry. Awkwardly, I called my dad (one of the leaders) and realized mid-sentence that you can’t really ask someone if they inadvertently swiped your wallet. I mean, if they had, they would know it after five hours, right? So what are you going to ask? That angle was shot. Item 2 was eliminated on the grounds that dreams this bad are always real. Which left me with number 4.

I searched the whole loft again, trying to see really clearly.

No dice. But Lindsay couldn’t find the wallet either, and it would be too much of a coincidence if we both went blind the same day. Which brought me back to the beginning of my inquiries. Lindsay…

Throughout the whole mad, chaotic mess, a new theory had been slowly forming. Spurred on by intuition, my photographic memory, and pure logic, the conclusion was strange in the extreme, but unavoidable.

“Honey? Did you…throw my wallet out?”

As my lips formed the question, the memories came pouring in. That empty egg carton and wilted lettuce on the bench by the door. Me, sticking the few lonely bills in my wallet. Lindsay, hurrying out before the guys arrived…and taking the trash with her… Surely not. No, it couldn’t be possible.

But it had to be.

::

When we returned from the dumpster, I made a beeline for the bathroom, where I kicked off my sandals (an unfortunate choice) and stuck my feet under the faucet.

Lindsay held my well-traveled wallet, complete with its original array of cash. “At least it doesn’t smell like trash,” she said. “Well, it smells a little like rotten milk, but oh well.”

::

* Now there’s a strange phrase. How exactly does something “turn up missing?” Is using these three words in the same breath akin to committing intellectual suicide? We may need to discuss this at the VRP.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, totally late comment and not related to this post, but...

I agree, downtime should be spent at least partially in reading. More than partially in fact.

Oh, except reading for uni. You can only read so much about gerontology and physical rehab at once. But other reading, yes.

Andrew Simone said...

Best sentence in the whole post: "No dice."

You got an fairly audible chuckle.

AJ said...

Jess, I'm guessing the post you're referring back to is Bookquake. Good memory.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife