Camera Captures Catastrophe ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Camera Captures Catastrophe


Who would have thought this trip would end in sorrow?

It seems that tragedy has struck our little home.


It all began several years ago when Lindsay and I scaled an incredible array of sand dunes the size of mountain foothills. High winds blew sand through the air at such frequent intervals that we could scarcely help inhaling it. We could hardly have foreseen the residual effects of this climate.

On the trip we carried our trusty Sony Cybershot F707 digital camera, capturing our ascent into gorgeous aridity. As a result, the circumstances of the climb were well documented. Now, each time I see one of those photographs, I feel my heart sink. Looking back, I feel sure that it was that fateful trip that caused the long, downhill slide toward total physical breakdown.

As I write, the patient lies on the futon behind me. Bodily functions are restricted to a bare minimum, and an operation may not prove conclusive. How severe are the injuries? Several crucial ligaments have deteriorated. It seems that the Colorado sand worked its way inside and never came out. Unseen, unheard, the grit has been eating away at internal organs for the last three years. Lindsay and I both feel the loss deeply.

I thought about inserting a PayPal link and pleading with you all to donate toward a new camera. The problem is, I’m not sure most of my readers occupy high enough income brackets to make this work. (A lot of you still live with your parents, right? ;) But I’d be lying if I said I’ve stopped toying with the idea…

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

We had to update our digital camera earlier this year after my wife broke our previous one.

She was the one holding it when it stopped working so I keep telling her that it was her fault. After all, it performed perfectly for me as it sat in my back pocket for two cycling trips right across Australia and two cycling trips in India. Surely that wouldn't have had anything to do with the malfunction.

Brood Mode said...

cool photographs! pity ur camera broke down... but a good chance to upgrade i guess

canaanbound said...

You play with my heartstrings. At first I thought you were talking about your wife in the picture, then I thought it might be a dog I didn't even know you owned, and then...well, still a bummer dude. The D70 certainly looks sweet though.

Oneway the Herald said...

RIP, Powershot.

I copped the D50 and it is brilliant. Whatever you do, watch out for the Nikon haters pushing Canon. I was surprised to learn Nikon vs. Canon can be as bad as PC vs. Mac.

AJ said...

Rodney, I wasn't able to pin this one on Lindsay due to the sand discovered inside the camera and the fact that I shot almost all the Dune photos. But the idea is very sound...

"a good chance to upgrade..."
*Wince.* If only!

Thanks for the tender heart, Tom. It's good to know that someone went for my grief-stained teaser.

Yeah Oneway, the Nikon-Canon feud is bitter. One of your old friends, Ramon, is no doubt experiencing a world of pain because of your choice. I'm just glad I reached you first.

Gotta watch out for the haters. Those Canon thugs have some deep-seated insecurities.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife