And Now I Am a "Nice Guy" ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, October 06, 2007

And Now I Am a "Nice Guy"

Blogging has been good to me. The rewards have come early and often (if you are imaginative about what constitutes a reward, and are willing to blog for years with about 4 readers ;). Consider:

Barely a year in, I was tagged iconoclastically as "Faithless".

Soon after came the famed Book Deal--I received a new-age saga featuring a very wise, talking dog. Absolutely free.

Later was the heartwarming, ego-checking “Best Domestic” nomination, which led to a landslide loss.

And more recently, I have been declared “nice.” It was enough to make Lindsay cry (as she sobbed, "If only!").

NICE. Are you kidding me?

I have personally argued that nice should be removed from the English language, except in cases where it is used as a sarcastic one-worder. Aside from being an acronym for the evil think tank in C.S. Lewis’ That Hideous Strength, being called “nice” is the guy equivalent to the chick-pseudo-curse, “she’s a sweet girl.” But it’s all good.

Sherman, the man who thus labeled me, noted that the award may signal a complete loss of street cred. Of course, being an MU fan, Sherman didn't have much cred to lose in the first place. He did, however, have these redeeming sentiments about the Nice Prize, which I also adopt:

Yeah, I'm nice.
Damn nice.
You got a problem with that?

My feelings exactly. Add the "Nice Matters" award to this blog’s long list of achievements.


Small print: Thanks, Randall! (I'll get you for this.) Here's a little more about the award: ". . .this award is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world." -- Bobkat. Ultimately, the attempt to encourage people to behave decently online, as opposed to becoming fire-spewing dragons, is an excellent thought, and I applaud it. But only after I've ridiculed it, of course...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

After tossing the olive branch in your general direction, loving my Jayhawk neighbor, turning the black and gold cheek and all that, this is the thanks I get.

Well.

Cheers.

AJ said...

I can't believe you're playing the innocent! If it weren't for my incredible niceness, I'd, well...

We'll settle this when hoops season rolls around. ;)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of winning the award for "Guy Who We Care For Like a Brother" award from the cheerleading squad.

Good Times.

AJ said...

Eric, you won that one too?

david c welker said...

Nice. Reminds me of a time, when I preached a heart and was told that my sermon was "nice". Please, anything but nice.
*I found your blog searching John Piper, I think.

Bobkat said...

As tempting as it is to banaish the word 'nice' from the dictionary, please don't. It would seriously harm my sarcasm. I do know what you mean though. As the person who awarded 'Musings from the Hinterland' I do like the thought behind the award, if not the actual word or the pinkness of the award!

Congrats on being 'nice'!

AJ said...

As far as compliments go, "nice" is right up there with "interesting."

*I found your blog searching John Piper, I think.

That's beyond nice. Cool.

As the person who awarded 'Musings from the Hinterland' I do like the thought behind the award, if not the actual word or the pinkness of the award!

So you're the one behind this media circus! And you're hiding your true identity behind a mild-mannered cat--nice call, that. But I agree, the thought is a good one.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife