Why Your Life Is Confusing ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Why Your Life Is Confusing

I just read this:

Every time Jesus sees that there is a possibility of giving us more than we know how to ask, He does so. And in order to do so He often has to deal with us in ways which are past finding out. - O. Hallesby

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Jesus must be piling it on, because my life often fails to make sense to me. I'm glad I got that figured out! Maybe.

I guess my problem is that Hallesby (whom I usually think is right on) implies that anytime my life seems be moving along with some stability and direction, Jesus is thinking, "Hmm, well he seems to have things pretty well mapped out at this point." As if there is nothing he can do at those stable, progressive times to improve on the situation. And of course we know that's not true.

However, I do like what Hallesby implies about the goodness and sovereignty of God. Any other takes?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

John Goering said...

Hmmmm...don't know about my life, but that quote is sure confusing. I've read it a few times in a row now and still don't quite get what he's trying to say.

But then again, I am kind of slow today.

AJ said...

I think the gist of what he's saying is that God often see past the plans we make for ourselves, which would end up ruining us if they were ever carried out. Instead of giving us what we want, Jesus gives us something better. Something that often involves large doses of pain and misery and confusion - but which really is better in the end.

I think that's a point highly worth making. But my little gripe still stands.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife