Christianity vs. Atheism Debate ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Christianity vs. Atheism Debate

Christianity Today is publishing a blow-by-blow debate between atheist Christopher Hitchens and author/apologist Douglas Wilson. I've enjoyed Wilson's writing for some time in Credenda Agenda, and I recommend this debate highly for its cordiality and rollicking tone (thanks to Wilson). Check it:

P. G. Wodehouse once said that some minds are like soup in a poor restaurant—better left unstirred. I am afraid that I find myself sympathizing with him as I consider atheism. I had been minding my own business on this subject for a number of years when I saw Sam Harris's book on the desk of a colleague, and that led to my book in response, not to mention a review of Richard Dawkins's most recent book, and now a series of responses to your God is Not Great, all culminating in this exchange. I am afraid that my problem is this: The more I stir the bowl, the more certain fumes, mystery meats, and questions keep floating to the surface.

You have to give Wilson a lot of credit for quoting Wodehouse in a theological debate. Chestertonesque.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Widsith said...

I've been looking for a recommended dialogue on this topic for a while, though I've been too busy lately to notice it on CT. So, thanks for mentioning it! :)

seev said...

Thanks, AJ, for your comment on my blog. I'm very interested in watching or reading the transcript of the Hitchens/Wilson debate. Also, I think I'll check out the Credenda Agenda. Thanks.

AJ said...

Widsith, you're welcome. I hope you enjoy this debate - I definitely am.

Seev, good to see you around. I'd love to hear further thoughts on the debate and/or Credenda Agenda, whether you post them on your blog or add them here as comments. For most of the people I've encountered, agnosticism is a temporary position that gives way to atheism or some form of belief in God.

I'm interested to know which way you find yourself headed.

Thanks for the comments.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife