Bright Eyes & 2 Slightly Related Notes ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bright Eyes & 2 Slightly Related Notes

Bright Eyes' latest album, Cassadaga, has been out for a couple of weeks now, which means you can buy it now without looking like a feverish groupie. I love Conor Oberst's lyrics (if you swear that there's no truth, who cares/why do you say it like you're right?) and innovative folk rock, if not the angry politics that appear now and then. I'm hoping to pick up a copy to celebrate the demise of my final exams later this week.

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

1. On a slightly related note, I finally got around to listening to the iTunes free single of the week from about a month ago, "The Guide," by Borne, and promptly deleted it. In the course of the song, the new girlfriend wins the appellations: "angel, guiding light, Jesus, savior, all that is love." When idolatry becomes that blatant (not to mention soap-opera-esque) it ceases to be interesting. My idol-factory has advanced beyond that level. Give me a little more nuance, a little more sophistication, and then I'll identify.

2. On another slightly related note (finals make me less, not more, lucid), I was wondering--having just read the psalmist's take on vintage idols--what more evolved forms of idolatry will do to you. Now that I think about it, the fate of the idol worshiper is going to remain the same, even if the idol is living, breathing, feminine. Which is to say, even if your idol is human, you'll end up like the old-school, classic idols of the past--that is, with unseeing eyes, non-hearing ears, non-feeling hands. While it worked out in a spectacular way for the psalmist's parallelism, this threat is ominous for run-of-the-mill idolaters. Borne, are you listening?

OK, that's all for now.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard the song, but I still had to go just now and paste those two lines from Conor Oberst in my Facebook quotes. Is there some rule that one needs to listen to the song before one starts quoting it? :-P

AJ said...

Hey Jamie, thanks for commenting on my music post. :)

I'd say if you want to quote Bright Eyes, go for it. His agenda, taken as a whole, is more depressive nihilist than secure deist, but that doesn't keep him from astutely observing human nature.

And his music really is worth a listen.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife