Jayhawks Need Big Men to Outduel Cowboys ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, March 10, 2006

Jayhawks Need Big Men to Outduel Cowboys

Jayhawk

Over at Phog Blog, I just posted a
quick preview of tonight's Big 12 Tournament match-up. Which game, you ask?

Well, the premiere game, obviously.

The Jayhawks, having drawn the toughest second-round opponent after a first round bye, square off against Oklahoma State at 6 p.m. this evening. The glimpses I caught of the OK State win last night were disquieting, with big men Boggan and Johnson exploding for 23 points and 20 points respectively. As I note in my article, this could cause problems for KU's inconsistent big men.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

AJ said...

I'm breaking one of my own rules and making the first comment on my own post. I'm wishing I had a better KU Jayhawk graphic. So if anyone has a great picture or graphic you feel inclined to donate, speak up. Assuming you own the rights, of course.

OK, any impulses toward genuine hoops talk may now be indulged.

Will Robison said...

Of course, the big men will be tired and since they're big, they may not recover as quickly. After all, there's a reason they played last night and KU sat out.

John B. said...

Ariel,
NOW? Only NOW you realize that Kansas' weakness is its one post-man, Chaka Khan? (sorry--I've been wanting to make that pun all season. I actually DO like him, but he seems to disappear at times.) In the game with my Longhorns, what, aside from the 'Hawks' poor shooting, did them in? LaMarcus Aldridge, no? With a dash of P.J. Tucker thrown in (the stats for the game, as I recall, show that Texas all but won the game at the foul line).
Kansas' perimeter people are about as talented as there are out there this year, but they indeed are missing Mr. Collison.
As for a better Jayhawk graphic, I know what you mean. For my "Jayhawkdammerung" post I went looking for a Jayhawk lying on its back, feet up in the air, but I had no luck at all.

AJ said...

Actually, I've been worried about the KU bigs for awhile. The Texas game certainly showcased the inside consistency. However, Mr. Kaun came to play last night. As the KC Star's Jason King notes:

"If Kaun is indeed on an upswing, it couldn’t be happening at a better time for the Jayhawks. Kansas is looking for a physical post presence as it prepares for the NCAA Tournament."

If KU gets another shot at the 'Horns tomorrow, it will be fascinating to see how far the 'Hawks' inside play has progressed in just over a week. On the bright side, if you're a Jayhawk fan, is that Darnell Jackson is back from the flu, and C.J. Giles may always decide to show up the second time around. Giles is the only one on KU's roster who has a remote chance of stopping or slowing Lamarcus Aldridge.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife