Guessing at Heaven's Mood ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Guessing at Heaven's Mood

Perfect day

Today was a good day.


I think every so often God sends us a day that, while not perfect, fills the slot for all practical purposes. Often it’s in summer. I soak in fiery energy under a cool breeze, or feel my senses heightened by a rustling forest, and I have the sensation, if any sensation on earth can earn the billing, of eternity sweeping, wheeling, waiting close by. Today I could live forever, I think.

These days don’t come often. And they don’t last. But while they’re with us, I wonder if we have the momentarily ability to make a purely intuitive leap at what immortality will be like. Pure guesswork, I know; I can’t help myself. This kind of day, this rare mixture of mood and weather, makes me lightheaded.

I’m convinced the seasons are eternally eloquent. But I may like it the best when one day leaps off the calendar page, and speaks about heaven with a voice both soothing and bracing, vivid and teasing. I can’t wait to hear it all.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Good days are joyous. The birds sing louder, the trees stand taller, there isn't a cloud in the sky, we are in sync with nature. These are the days that we live for. These are the days that we pray for. Everything is going our way. I think days like these are resting points between spiritual stations in life. They fortify us with strength and insight. They prepare us for the days ahead and we can always reference them when our days are not as good.

Nunzia said...

well, if it makes you feel better, it's still listed as #1 for religious blogs! :)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife