Controversy and Buzz ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Controversy and Buzz

Thought I'd mention that controversy still swirls around the recent post, The Imaginary Life. My friend Scott, who I called out in the post, has done an admirable job defending himself, triggering more debate in the process. Not bad, not bad at all. Should Scott ever venture into the blogosphere, we expect a knock-out blog about Math, Coding, and the beauty of the Quadratic Equation. Oh yeah, and Illinois hoops. (How much imagination does it take to root for Bruce Weber, who was recently seen wearing a lurid, bright orange sports coat? The verdict is still out...)

On another front, I've been thinking about the implications of comments. Some posts draw rapid-fire remarks almost from the moment they appear. (In the context of this blog, 'rapid-fire' would suggest a comment count in double digits.) Other posts maintain an uneasy silence. The obvious conclusion is that some pieces are more provocative, more helpful, more interesting than others. These ones generate the buzz.

I only question this hypothesis because occasionally I've read a post so brilliant that it leaves me searching for words. (This frequently happens at www.kusports.com, the best Jayhawk hoops venue around.) Could it be that there is more than one cause of a comment deficit? 1) The readers are confused and embarassed for the post's author, and kindly keep quiet. 2) The readers are deeply moved, and their heartstrings are humming so loud they can hardly find the right words to respond.

If this was the case, assuming you were trying to evoke commentary, you would want to aim for a kind of middle ground. You would have to avoid both confusing flights of fancy and unspeakably inspiring posts. A catchy lucidity would be the best compromise. Interesting.

I'd like to wrap up this wandering post by giving a nod to several new faces that I've enjoyed seeing around here lately. Their blogs are certainly worth a look.

Almschrift-Stellerin of Almschrift
Jessi of they pay to kiss your feet
Dustin of Imaginations in Unity
Chosha of a little east of reality

And an oldie-but-goodie: Colleen of Ardamar (Check out the post on the toad)

A few other blogs are begging to be included in this list, so I'll have to do this again sometime soon.

Peace, I'm out.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Dustin said...

Ariel,

I appreciate the mention. I have enjoyed reading your blog for the last several months. I am not even sure how I stumbled upon it, but I have very much appreciated your wisdom and insight. Keep sharing your God-given thoughts.

God's peace to you, my friend.

Will Robison said...

I think the really good, deep, postings take the most time to build momentum... but the comments do eventually roll in. Of course, there are those blog postings - like Andy's recent TV Praise Songs - that are both embarrassing and deep, all at the same time. They seem to have a life of their own.

Pensive Girl said...

Thanks! I really enjoy your blog, too. In fact, I've linked to you because I really think that people need to read what you're writing.
Keep it up for the kingdom.
:)
Jessi

Carmen said...

I have been in the same boat. When no one comments I get insecure and I think no one is reading. Then months later, someone will mention in passing something that I wrote. A lot of people just read and appreciate and keep it all to themselves. Its absolutely crazy what people will remember.

AJ said...

Thanks for the notes, Dustin and Jessi. I appreciate it.

As for comments...I remember the days when I counted weekly comments on my arms. They're one of those things you don't really aim for directly (like 'if you want peace, work for justice,' to trivialize a well-known concept). As Will notes, they have a life of their own. And as Camille mentions, they're not even the most accurate gauge of effectiveness. Some of the posts I consider my 'best' have 1, 2, or no comments.

Comments. You can't blog for 'em, you can't blog without 'em.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife