Warmth Worth Living In, Spiritual Fire ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Warmth Worth Living In, Spiritual Fire

Spiritual journey: a warmth that is not short-lived?
Warmth sinks deep hooks into a person.

On certain fall days, getting out of the shower seems like leaving home, and I can hardly bring myself to do it. I find myself wondering at how warmth is one of the most addictive sensations in life. In both its physical and spiritual manifestations, one could argue that warmth sinks deeper hooks into a person than, say, adrenalin rushes or pure, edgy pleasure.

The deceptive thing about warmth is that it seems wrong for it to end. No one really expects to remain indefinitely in a state of utopian bliss—the kind that occurs when you sandwich a vicious jam between NBA-deep three-pointers. But when warmth shows up—say, the feeling of serene confidence in one’s hoops skills—we have the feeling that it should last forever. We feel sad, cold, shaky, when it doesn’t.

Switching back to the physical plane, it seems that fall and winter especially highlight this permanent aspect of warmth that should be present but is not. Cold blows in and people scurry desperately for their scarves and have even greater difficulties getting out of bed. On the soul level, there is an equivalent effect; the holidays approach, and we eye our relationships and take stock of their relative closeness or alienation. We examine our lives for traces of warmth, and are either grateful or chilled by what we find.

C.S. Lewis sums up the state of affairs:

The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure and merriment, He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why…Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.

We experience the “joy, pleasure and merriment,” and pronounce them good—and at the same time, we continue to quietly look around for what we sense is missing, “the settled happiness and security we all desire.” Because of this reality, a chill in the air may be a clue to my soul’s unrest. At such moments I remind myself that this arrangement is temporary.

Hot water
Wool clothes
Bright sun on a cold day
A smile
An embrace
The ephemeral glow at the end of a race
All are fundamental
But at last there will be a warmth to end them all

And that’s the warmth I’m holding out for: the type generated by proximity to Christ, the kind we’ll live in. We’re all waiting, know it or not, to be warmed by an eternal fire.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I find sad, is that some Christians fear becoming "satisfied" with C.S. Lewis' "inns", so they ignore them completely because such are frivilous or worse, think of them as some sort of spiritually unhealthy diversion. We do have joys in this world and its Ok to revel in them. God does give us gifts along the way, i.e. a good jump shot. (He didn't give that one to me; he gave it to my daughter.) He wants us to open them and enjoy them.

BTW, after Sam Houston State, I called Quin's voice mail and told him I still have 4 years of eligibility, my 5'7" frame notwithstanding. I'm waiting for his call.

Cheers.

AJ said...

Sherman, I'm with you. Throughout history, Christian ascetics have provided a sharp contrast with their more "indulgent" brothers. But the wisest ascetics saw that the "merriment" of the present life was hardly evil. Their self-denial stemmed from a different motive entirely...

I conclude that indulgence for the sake of indulgence AND denial for the sake of denial both miss the point entirely. Savoring life's good things should lead to thanks; relinquishing them should add to a rigorous pursuit of Christ.

After KU lost by 1 pt to Arkansas last night, I gave Bill Self's cell phone a buzz - he and I being on close speaking terms, as I give him personnel advice from time to time.

He laughed when I told him I'd be happy to suit up for him in Maui next time, but listened carefully as I gave him my take on the 'Hawks ball-handling glitches. In a round-about way, I also tossed out that I'd be happy to give Mario Chalmers a breather now and then when KU enters the Big 12 season, but Self kind of evaded the issue. Oh well, his loss.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife