Nonrefundable Choices, Spiritual Currency ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Nonrefundable Choices, Spiritual Currency

…A Journey Toward Certainty

Spiritual Journey: Navigating life can be so tricky

Some decisions can haunt you for years. Generally, they are the type you make only once. Buying a digital camera, for example. No matter how well you do your homework, evolving technology will eventually make you look like a fool. Carelessly upping the ante, a friend of mine (who will remain unnamed for obvious reasons) once compared buying a digital camera to getting married.

His logic was something along these lines: The longer you wait, the better the options get, and the more of them there are. But if you wait indefinitely, you will eventually get too old to enjoy your purchase. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. This struck me as a considerably bleak, jaded way of looking at the whole realm of marriage, and very insightful.

But no, wait! Not in the way you think! (Lindsay, don’t stop reading now.) The marriage-phobia that many profess provides a clue to a reality that virtually all of us experience. I think we suffer from a low-grade fear of disabling choices which is, at the very least, persistent if not paralyzing. Digital cameras aside, there are few decisions that cannot be creatively second-guessed at—and many of them are painful.

Most of us can fill in the blank. Choices can and do go wrong in so many ways, they hardly need to be listed. But in a world where blueprints of God’s down-to-the-minute plans are carefully veiled, hesitancy, concern, and regret seem nearly unavoidable. God tells us all he wants us to know, but he doesn’t tell us everything. We know enough, but not all. And so we must pick our paths with courage and with faith.

That, and we should avail ourselves of the few options that will never take on shady hues in hindsight. Many decisions are non-refundable; only a few are fully guaranteed. We should be sure to grab those rarities.

The thought that launched this post (aside from the thought that I should really be writing my Theology 1 paper, and that I needed some coffee) was the realization that whatever I come to lament in life, no matter how large a sum of regret accumulates, there are some things that will never appear rash, will never be a cause for sorrow, will never be second-guessed. And because that was a very long sentence, I’ll say it another way:

There are some choices that will never, ever, ever go bad. Ultimately, only one. Everything else might fall apart—I could end up selling book club subscriptions door to door for a living, and question my interest in literature; I might dramatically throw out my back some day on the blacktop, and wonder what possessed me to spend so much time throwing down dunks—I might, in fact, experience very real regret and sorrow. And just the same, the one decision, incontestably bright and shining, would remain undimmed.

For this reason, I’m trying to capitalize on my position as Christ’s disciple. Few routes through life are fire-proof, flood-proof, poverty-proof, death-proof—but this one is. And the person looking for certainty will enjoy this pathway, this decision, for all its worth.

A step onto the road that leads to Christ, once taken, can never be proved worthless. In the end, that choice not only can bear the weight of the worldit can buy it. My step into Jesus’ life is worth the entire earth, and heaven thrown in. Finally I am faced with a choicea Godwho remains unquestionable. I’ll ruthlessly bank my success on this God. This is a life worth every ounce of my spiritual currency.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

6 comments:

Brood Mode said...

this post has lifted my spirit! thank u

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying my relatively new Nikon D-70.

Cameras aside, good post, Arie. :)

Kimberly Anne said...

As much as I would like to put my trust in humans occasionally, they constantly disappoint eventually. There is only One that will never disappoint--I'm very thankful that He chose me for the sheep pen.

AJ said...

You are very welcome, Brood Mode.

Laurel, stop rubbing the digicam issue in my face. I'm already jealous, ok? ;)

As much as I would like to put my trust in humans occasionally, they constantly disappoint eventually.

Joy, it's strange how we seem to learn the same lessons over and over where people are concerned. We want to trust 'em - rely upon each other totally, and pile all kinds of expectations on our relatioships. As you point out, only one relationship can bear the weight of all that hope and trust.

Oneway the Herald said...

Ariel,

This is a poignant post elucidating the chaos that can come with choice, especially with all of the liberty citizens of the U.S. enjoy. Not only is there one decision we can make that's "unregrettable", as you point out, but submitting to Christ also allows us to truly try our best and trust in grace to cover bad choices.

Oneway the Herald said...

Also, Laurel, great to hear someone is enjoying their D70. I bought a D50 a couple months back, and now I am searching for a cheap external hard drive to store all the shots I want to take.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife