Jayhawks Hoops Controversy: Gangster Mentality, Recruiting Quips ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Jayhawks Hoops Controversy: Gangster Mentality, Recruiting Quips



Here are a couple Kansas Jayhawks info-bursts to round out the morning.

In a Wichita Eagle article, Sherron Collins' high school coach talks about the future Jayhawk's ability:

"He has a Chicago gangster mentality when he's going for his shot. He'll throw his body into someone. He plays bigger than 5-11. He can make plays that guys 6-3 can't do."
KU fans are thanking you for the props, coach. Juicy, subjective takes like this can be a little hard to find on the net...probably because few people are qualified to give them. Something else: It's very popular to apply the "G" tag in hoops, and though I get the idea (up-in-your-face toughness), I sometimes wonder if I'm down with the terminology. Are you? Feel free to discuss.

Now, here's a piece that will make some people hot under the collar. Collegehoopsnet.com melds a couple sources to give insight into how Bill Self recruited Sherron Collins to KU over IL:
Self’s pitch has included telling Collins that Illinois is a great program, but Kansas is that much better. In fact, that’s the reason he left Illinois to take the Kansas job. Self feels Collins should do the same.
The piece provides further causes for escalating blood pressure. Jayhawks fans may have to decide to what extent they condone Bill Self's recruiting techniques. Others will think he's the devil. Or you could just say all's fair in love and war...like I do...maybe. I'm still thinking this one out. Word is that Bruce Weber had Collins tagged as IL's next Dee Brown...which just makes you want to weep for the man.

Your takes?


Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped enjoying the NBA when in embraced the "Gangsta" lifestyle as a marketing ploy. When Quinn seemed to embrace it in recruiting for my beloved Tigers, to the detriment of the team and the university, your humble alum sent a strongly worded letter to the chancellor.

I certainly want my team to win, (especially against KU :) ), but not at the cost of my soul.

The good news is I still have eight grade girls basketball to root for -- at least until my daughter starts buying bling and wearing baggy pants and doo-rags.

Cheers.

AJ said...

Your strongly-worded letter earns my admiration, Sherman. Once I sent a strongly-worded letter to the Jayhawks, asking for Jerod Haas' autograph.

You also mention a major turn-off for me, regarding the NBA. Guess I'm just not down with the coolness. As for your daughter, I can only wish you the best.

Can't wait for the KU-MU hoops matchup... :)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife