We're Back, & In More Ways Than One ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

We're Back, & In More Ways Than One

We made it back. One hundred degree weather did everything in its power to stop us, but by dint of cool drinks and raw willpower we survived. In Saint Louis we stayed in the Ballpark Hilton (the Cards were out of town), walked through the zoo, hit up the Art Museum, ate at a local bar & grill, checked out a street party, photographed a cathedral at dusk, and watched fireworks and the end of a concert at the riverside under the arch.

The next morning we dropped by
The Journey before driving to Hermann, where we stayed at a bed & breakfast, took some pictures, and toured three wineries, where we encouraged them to widen their array of sparkling grape juices so they could cater to Southern Baptists.

And, writing this, I have stopped asking myself why I felt so tired when we got home.

So we're back. But as I considered posting some photos from our travels, I realized I've been remiss on another big news item.

Three Down, Two To Go:
Vanderhorst Basketball Team Is Almost Complete

That's right. Lindsay is pregnant with our second boy, and while our local friends have been aware of this for some time, I hadn't gotten around to making the announcement here. The baby is due mid-October, and so far everyone is healthy and excited. Aidan is looking forward to it too, although he doesn't realize that having a little brother means he will no longer be the single sun in the center of our family universe.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll adjust.

Some of you are thinking, Good night, you'll be going to school full-time, working part-time, raising a one-year-old, and having a second boy at the same time? You're crazy!

And yeah, yeah, you're right. So pray for us, why don't you? I figure this will be at least as hard as when I held down three jobs while taking 18 hours and working out with the basketball team while commuting to school my freshman year of college. But we are happy and we're looking forward to seeing this little guy in a couple months!

Unlike
my NBA career, building a family is one of those things we decided not to wait on...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

8 comments:

John Goering said...

Congratulations!!! Two kids is definitely way more than twice as much work, but it's awesome. :)

And good luck with that NBA career.

D. Timothy Goering said...

Looking forward to some more good baby pics!

Will Robison said...

Congratulations! And I'd add that two kids is definitely way more than twice the blessing!

If it makes you feel any better, my sister had her two kids while finishing law school and taking the bar exam and she's way more screwed up than you are. I'm sure you'll be fine. You've got God on your side.

Charles Churchill said...

Congratulations you guys!!!
As a proud father of a 26 month old and a 8 month old, let me just say that you have many hard, wild, long, and utterly worthwhile days and nights ahead of you.

Or as it is said in a quote by a wise man (that I just made up):

If we were doing something of little importance, say for example, climbing Mt. Everest or training for the Tour de France or even enduring the rigors of space travel and exploration, then perhaps we could look upon these moments of pain and hardship as something to be resented, but as it is, because we have been entrusted with the task of raising up godly sons and daughters and with striving against a world of iniquity and dark forces, how can we look upon these things as anything other than the nature of our calling?

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Ariel. Not that I know from experience, but I'm sure having two will be a handful, especially with you still in school. I suspect the blessings, however, will be quite enough to compensate for the extra hullabaloo. :)

Andy said...

Congrats, Ariel! Looking forward to seeing how the lil' bro handles running the point for Aidan.

AJ said...

my sister had her two kids while finishing law school and taking the bar exam and she's way more screwed up than you are.

YES! But wait, Will, we don't know if you'll be able to make this statement a year from now.

Gymbrall, that wise, ancient quote that you just made up was great. Maybe I'll cite it in my next book.

Looking forward to seeing how the lil' bro handles running the point for Aidan.

I've been thinking about this. Aidan was a preemie. He's also very aggressive and a brainiac, so he probably has point guard duties sewn up. He'll be one of those scoring PGs.

I personally have 2-Guard spoken for. I'm a scorer, but at my height (about 8 of the inches that were intended for me got lost in my fallen DNA) I start running into trouble when I play small fwd.

That means that player number three needs to be taller. I keep telling Lindsay to "think big" and be sure to carry him to term. We'll see what happens.

It would be kind of sad if the Vanderhorst team could only play in the 6' and Under League.

AJ said...

Thanks for the kind words, all! I got overly focused on the basketball comment and forgot to say Thank You. :)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife