Can You Handle Facebook? ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, August 24, 2007

Can You Handle Facebook?

Joshua Harris can't. :) Which may be a good thing.

How do I put this? I found that [Facebook] encouraged me to think about me even more than I already do--which is admittedly already quite a bit. Does that make any sense? Without any help from the internet I'm inclined to give way too much time to evaluating myself, thinking about myself and wondering what other people think of me. If that egocentrism is a little flame, than Facebook for me is a gasoline IV feeding the fire. I need to grow in self-forgetfulness. I need to worry more about what God is thinking of me. I need to be preoccupied with what he's written in his word, not what somebody just wrote on my "wall."

My only contribution to this link: What Josh says about Facebook can pretty easily apply to the world of blogging and social aps in general. Therefore, a question worth asking: Is my blogging/networking making me even more of a hard bitten narcissist than I already am, or am I finding ways to subvert potentially parasitic technology to the glory of God?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

John said...

I'd say you're taking the gifts our intellect gives us, like writing and the internet, to good uses. Facebook can be good too, if it's used well. The Catholic club I'm in uses Facebook to help organize and inform people about the events we're having, and it makes it easier to keep in touch with some friends over the summer.

Of course, I've also used Facebook to annoy my friends and roommates when we sabotage each other's profile pages, but that's all in good fun.

Jeffrey Amos said...

You blog has never struck me as self-centered. Especially since most of the discussions are not about you.

And even when you are talking about yourself, your blog allow readers like me to be less narcissistic.

...

Harris' follow-up post names a hilarious strength of facebook:

"If you're mature enough to pursue marriage, Facebook should be "Courtbook" for you. Don't just sit there, get on the ball and go "poke" a godly girl."

AJ said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. John, I haven't figured out how to sabotage profile pages yet...clue a bro in.

"If you're mature enough to pursue marriage, Facebook should be "Courtbook" for you. Don't just sit there, get on the ball and go "poke" a godly girl."

Hilarious. From I Kissed Dating Goodbye to You, Give Poking a Try? If he was a baptist, someone would probably need to be fired over this...

John said...

Well, usually it's got to be sort of an inside job. Like, for example, one of my roommates last year left his computer unlocked and his facebook account still logged on when he went to class. He practically hero-worshipped Tiger Woods, and had a picture of him for his profile picture. I decided to change it to a different "Tiger."

One of my other roommates sabotaged my profile while I was out by editing a Gandhi quote I had in my profile. I'll let you see if you can catch the addition.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. Holla Holla Holla." -An important message from Gandhi

AJ said...

John, you've inspired me. Clearly I'm going to have to work hard for this kind of opportunity, but I can see that it will be worth it.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife