Well, I'm Back ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Well, I'm Back

Live Oak in New Orleans
With a hat tip to Sam Gamgee, we have returned from the far reaches of Louisiana, thoroughly renewed in mind and spirit and with a lot of gumbo under our belts. Actually, it wasn't as if we were way out in the sticks - just far enough out for comfort. My sister's fiance's family has what amounts to (keep in mind this is a city kid speaking) a small plantation about an hour outside of New Orleans. We had an adventurous, spicy, heart-pumping time.

I was telling Lindsay that this was the most carefree vacation I've had in quite a while. The schedule was structured, but just so it would give enough resistance to be comfortable. We road horses, tore around the property on a four-wheeler, climbed live oaks, and played football and volleyball and hide-and-seek, all accompanied by our intrepid hosts who also doubled as guides and made sure no one got killed in the rapier fights. Somehow we also found time to drive into New Orleans, including the French Quarter, which is remarkably intact, and I read half of Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing. Every couple hours we stopped the running, jumping and reading to eat jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, etc., and drink gallons of coffee with chicory.

While playing hide-and-seek, I rediscovered that frighteningly good feeling you have as a kid when you are sneaking around outside after dark, crawling through patches of shadow, listening to twigs snap, making strategic alliances with your siblings so that maybe they will get tagged instead of you when you are forced to make a run for it - the strange thrill of trying hard not to get caught. I also rediscovered the fact that I play a pretty mean game of hide-and-seek.


We love the new in-laws-to-be. We had a ridiculously good time.

Some of you might also enjoy this earlier post, which features some New Orleans photos. Now I must begin to adjust to the snow and ice which greeted us upon our return home...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable and safe trip. But, pleased you are back because we have been missing your blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Ariel. It is indeed difficult to have a bad time in Louisiana, most of the time.

Anonymous said...

We "road" horses, huh? I don't recall you being all that good at "hide and seek." In fact, the only way you could tag me was stay right on the tree, and tag me as I ran for shelter from the other brother. Who, unlike you, chased me. : ) It was a great trip. I wasn't sure you liked it. I'm glad you had a fun time.

AJ said...

We "road" horses, huh?

Nothing like getting called out on grammar by your little brother. Makes me feel better about that time I pinned you on the front lawn and sat on you.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I don't remember that. I do remember all the times I swatted you authoritatively of your large rump, though.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife